What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My pleasure, Brad. I'm not much of a rag chewer, especially not when operating CW. SOTA chasing lets me enjoy the hobby and maybe help out you mountain goats. I'll listen for your signal and I hope to work you again.

Al

2. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm starting to go down a different road while at home. That road is digging out weak signals and then having a real QSO with them. I'm finding that getting a station to be able to hear a very weak signal while living in a moderately densely populated area is no easy feat, so that is where my technical effort is headed.

This is taking me down the path of dedicated receive antennas as well as becoming able to discern Morse code just above the noise floor.

I may not be transmitting QRP all the time as I like putting an easy to read signal in the other guy's headphones, but I will be out there hunting the weak guys.

Hey, somebody has to be out there hunting for the hard to receive!

Jim
    KF9VV

N8AFT, WN1MB, KC3RN and 1 other person like this.
  3. KM4DYX

I find the idea of dedicated receive-only antennas and even separate transmitters and receivers to be fascinating for some reason. I get where you are going with this and please do update us on your progress.

I've struggled with several of my SOTA QSOs. The combination of QRP-level SOTA operator and my somewhat lacking SGC 2020 receiver can make for tough work.

Al

4. KM4DYX

20 M is open to Europe this A.M.. Worked Slovenia, Italy es Austria - SOTA activators all.

5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

80m was kind to OM Lane last nite .
    I began calling CQ on 3552 during the WES and was rewarded with a string of replies. Some even doubled on each other, hi.
    I worked 5 or 6 WES exchanges / mini QSO's in a row before the well went dry. Good QRQ fist practice and had no repeats.
    I don't normally participate in a WES except to do it running low power. Band condx were very much improved from the past week.

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your new found dedication to hearing the weaker stations! I find it a vy enjoyable challenge esp during QRN in the warm months.
    A good set of snug fitting fones are an absolute must primarily. I also use my I.F. filtering, variable bandwidth peak-notch adjustments to peak and "isolate" the inbound signals. Also found a vy nice addition to my audio chain is 3rd Planet Solar's CALF audio limiter filter.
    Proper adjustment of it as well as the RX allows me to hear QRP ops even when there are regional thunderstorms on 80m.
    The CALF's adjustable audio limiter function is the key to that. It makes the crashes sound like mild puffs! So it's obviously worth the 100 bucks.
    Receivers here are Drake R7 and Ken TS-830, both with I.F. shift, variable bandwidth and notch. The CALF makes these rigs extra "hot".

7. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

The radios here are an ICOM 7410 or a well maintained Kenwood TS-930. The path I'm heading down is high performance receive antennas. The first stab will be a small receiving loop. I have most of the parts right now to build a T/R switch for the IC-7410. The hope is I can null some of the noise from my neighbor.

Once it warms up, my next step is to implement a Beverage. My property will support one.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP MASCOT.jpg
    birdiewave[1].gif

9. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Broke out the 40m QCX kit today and having a ball calling CQ and ragchewing. No DX, but I'm not a DX guy anyway so who cares? Loads of fun.

KF9VV and WN1MB like this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I made fifty QSO in 9A CW contest on mcHF and wire loop

Attached Files:

• 9А.jpg
      9А.jpg
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
    KC3RN likes this.