What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are looking for multiband antenna it could help you http://dl2kq.de/ant/3-57.htm
    You can translate it on google.
    I used it many times with tuner with good result.
    Simply comparing different antennas often does not make sense because of the different passage and the presence of stations on the air. But understanding how an antenna works allows you to get the maximum result with minimal effort. Good luck!

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I found another guy who has a lot of money, but his expensive equipment does not mean anything for QRP

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

First rule of QRP is small compromise antennas, produce compromised results.

I never have that much difficulty making any contacts, but I always use full size wire dipole antenna's.

N8AFT, US7IGN and KF9VV like this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, 20M was open to Alaska today. Been nice If I could have got a word in edgewise between the Kali KWs calling for the New England QSo party and some other non-sense 'contest'. I suppose if one uses a solid teak-wood RX, it is hard to hear us little guys....

Not a total waste, 19M was open, so enjoyed listening to SW while drinking my java and watching the snow fall on the hills. When it got too cold, rolled up the EVC and went home.

Fun day altogether.

N8AFT and US7IGN like this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked two states I really needed, Indiana, and Utah. I have 5 states left.....

W4POT likes this.
  6. PD7MAA

PD7MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite spot with 0 noise... Note the wheelstand for the pole.
    The Iler 20 qrp works fawlessly in to a 1.2.5m fiber pole The antenna is my favorite endfed vertical dipole for 20m.
    Signals are hard an clean.

field day (Small).jpg
    car shack (Small).jpg

KC7JNJ, US7IGN and KC8VWM like this.
  7. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

What QRP operating today? Nothing. Thanks for asking.

8. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Power creep happened at camp KF9VV. 100 Watts on 30 tonight went bad. Smoke detector this time. Back to QRP and becoming more band fluid. Staying camped on 40 is over.

Question - if I was to venture into that strange and mysterious world of digital communications - what radio have others used with good success? Frankly, I see a KX in my future.

9. W4ZNG

W4ZNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having good luck with my FT-817nd and digital modes. I've run it with a SignaLink to my laptop (4 lbs total), an Easy Digi interface to my iPhone (1 lb, counting a bluetooth keyboard), and even audio-linked things by holding the mic up to my iPhone (0.8 lbs for the keyboard, and watch that ALC). I've managed PSK-31 contacts all three ways, though the laptop & SignaLink was definitely the easiest. In principle, you don't even need a keyboard for the phone, but it makes things go a lot faster.

So back to the radio question, if it can do sideband, it can do digital. A data port and isn't strictly needed, but it does open up a lot of possibilities. Look at SignaLink's web site and see which radios they can interface to. Even if you don't go with a SignaLink box, it'll give you an idea of which radios are commonly used with digital modes.

10. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page