ad: elecraft

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

On the trail with the RV, and have had the QCX running into a inverted V. It is fun, but as I'm settling into CW ops, I like longish QSOs. At home with 100 Watts and a 110' doublet high up in the hardwoods, that's an easy thing to do. Out here on the road, getting a longer QSO running with QRP is proving to be difficult. I don't want to drag the other poor soul through trying to receive a weak signal.

I've been running a 40 Meter inverted V at 25 or so feet from the RV. Not a world beater of an antenna. It is time to up my game. Suggestions?

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Something like the Hardrock 50 amp will work with QRP rigs. It is a multi-band amp, but I don't know why it wouldn't work with a QCX. If you only plan to work with resonant antennas, you can skip the internal tuner option.

Obviously, you need a higher capacity power source to run this... :)

3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a tough one. Even doubling the height is going to yield only a dB or so. If you could get a Moxon up that high you would be a lot better off.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Go with something you can turn up or down like an FT857.

5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a very good friend who was a full timer in a motor home. He ran a 857 into a ultamax dx 100. He ran that vertical up a jackite pole. (Off the back ladder) That is where I got the idea for the antenna I use now. It has worked very good for both of us. I am using that setup at home with a 817 and it is easy and has been working for me. Right now I am on a SSB QRP kick but I can’t think that CW with this setup wouldn’t be even easier. We both ran the ultamax antenna with a mfj unun in front of the antenna.

But then again no matter what you use these days there are going to be some dead bands from time to time.

6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

W5BIB and N8AFT like this.
  7. KC7JNJ

Man that looks like fun! I like that radio you have in the photo.

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

3560 a little noisy tnite with approaching storms but still enjoyed a 2x QRP QSO with AF4YF Bill in Stuart VA this evening arnd 2300...

Learn Morse
    Do CW
    Try QRP

9. KC7JNJ

20 was a little weird today. I was able to work a SOTA in CO. And another station in GA. Things would fade in and there would be two stations on top of each other. I tryed for W0W he sounded like he was in my block running 1200watts. I think everyone could hear him making him a good target for many. I could not get his attention.

10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

At the end of the day, Sergei UT3UFD called me and said: "Let's go outside the city with the radio after work for a couple of hours". I said: "Ok". It takes 5 minutes to throw the wire on the branch of tree and turn on the radio. A little chatted with UT3UFD and made a nice QSO on 30 meters with a Chris DK7DC.

Attached Files:

• QRP.jpg
      QRP.jpg
      File size:
      113.4 KB
      Views:
    K3XR and KC8VWM like this.