ad: NI4L-2

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IC-7300 at home, IC-7100 mobile (although the 7100 is often setup next to the 7300 when I'm using it for VHF/UHF at home).
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good day. I made a few QRP QSO from East with R0XA to West with N2GM.
    After I was kill my mcHF (yep, I burned second MCU), I reached out my very old ICOM 706mk2g. It needed some repair what I successfully done and I'm againe on air!
    N8AFT likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Done!
  4. N8AFT

Days getting longer but still good regional QRP on 3560 before sunset.
    Lightning crashes add much more to the operating challenge of low band HF.
    Come on summer, bring the QRN with ye....!
    I don't quit QRP during summer and wait for fall... hope you don't either.

Learn Morse
    Do CW
    US7IGN likes this.
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Running 5 watts FT-8 with my KX2 and and end-fed on the balcony, worked about 20 stations this evening, a few on 20 earlier but mostly 40 meters. My 2018 goal has been to try to average 10 Q's a day and work as many grids as I can for the ARRL Grid Chase.
  6. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

absolutely not here either
    N8AFT likes this.
  7. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still enough of a newb not to have operated during the summer, so this is all new to me. That said, I got a healthy taste of the problem the other day. I was doing a SOTA activation and there was a tstorm maybe 50mi away or so. For some reason I thought lightning QRN was limited to 80m, but 40m was NOISY. I'm glad for code as I don't think I could have done much with ssb at QRP power.
    N8AFT likes this.
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

In the evening after work there are no chance on 20 to make DX QSO. No propagation and many noise from street lights and neighboards. So I have half hour in the morning when I drink my tea to listen the radio. Today I made two half-DX QSO with UA0UAN and UA9BU. ~3400 miles not bad.
    N8AFT, W5BIB, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  9. N8AFT

Hi Joe; Great to know you know code and are enjoying CW.
    I've found that turning the AGC off makes a big diff in QRN since the AGC won't rapid pump the audio with the crashes when it's turned off.
    I adjust the RF Gain to make the signal just be at copy level es no more. Give that a try.
    I found the KC9ON CALF audio limiter to be indispensible icing on the cake for QRN.
    The crashes are limited mostly to a Puff-Puff sound when it's adjusted properly, again AGC is turned off and RF Gain is set low.
    Best investment I've made in an audio filter just for the limiter feature becuase it works so very well.

Learn Morse
    Do CW
    N0MAP likes this.
  10. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, I think this is exactly what was happening. I am going to give it a shot operating with AGC off and controlling RF manually. Tks!

73 de N0MAP
    N8AFT likes this.