ad: cq2k-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

This evening the post man brought me a None Simpler 40m TX to build. It took about half an hour.
    Super little kit with 6 watts into the full wave Hertz.
    First CQ was answered by N5NVP, Jim, in Louisiana 479 QSB/QRN but no drift/no chirp.
    850 miles for about 141 MPW. Not remarkable but not bad for band condx.

VK3YE likes this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad that someone is having fun. It's been light duty for me for the past week, but I'm thinking that I'll be up and at 'em soon. I'm still pondering my next wire antenna build....maybe a Half Square for 80 M.

3. N8AFT

I put up a 4 inch open wire fed doublet yrs ago for 80m (True Ladder Line) and tweeked it with a dab of extra wire so it's a full wave on 40 now.
    That makes a big difference. It tunes all bands and WARC too. I'm using a Drake MN2700 tuner and the Drake balun on the back.
    Run TV twin-lead through the window sill to the tuner. Ant is 30' apex, 12' legs to gnd. Not enough room here for a loop.

4. N8AFT

BTW your portable FT817 setup looks great!

5. KM4DYX

I used to have a random wire that was about 150 ft overall length that ran from my tuner, out the window, up near vertical for about 10-15 ft, then slope up to the top of a 60 ft pine tree. Tuned everything 80 meters and up, but I could never tune it on 160. Worked the world on JT 65 with that antenna.

6. KM4DYX

Thanks.

7. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I just picked up a very nice Ten Tec Argonaut 509 at a steal of a price! Right now it's disassembled for cleaning and replacement of the dial cord and bungee, but by the weekend it will be back together and ready to run.

8. KB5ZCR

KB5ZCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy AFT,
    I built a NS-40 a few weeks ago. Ive been out of HF for 15 yrs or so. I don't have an HF rig currently but am using a Grundig 750 satellite as a receiver. My question is how and what are you using as a receiver with your NS-40? Do you have a t/r switch, is it auto or manual, if so can you tell me more? I'm trying to figure out a way to set my station up with the separate receiver and transmitter on a single antenna, and trying to figure out the best way to get it done cheaply. I think that if I could just build a cheap and easy manual t/r switch I would be happy but don't know we're to get a plan for one.

9. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

For the real experience get a DPDT knife switch http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/322658367379?chn=ps&dispItem=1

It just needs to switch antenna and power over. Optionally receiver mute unless you want clicking buzzing in your receiver like the penniless old-timers had.

Or just use a small DPDT switch (cheaper, faster but less impressive looking).

10. KM4DYX

I've got the PAR/LNR Trail Friendly end fed in a vertical configuration today. Top is at around 45-50 ft AGL. Transmitting on 20 Meter WSPR. Seems to be getting the job done. I'll switch to 40 M soon and see how that does.