What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

3560 Very Lively 2/12 til abt 8pm EST.
    Al, your new 80m wire is a winner!

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Lane, nice QSO, as always. I'm settling into CW, slowly but surely. I'm beginning to think that I accidently bought a roll of "Extra Gain" wire from the hardware store or something. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the 80 M antenna. I even use it on 30 M and accept the loss that the 5:1 SWR is producing in my coax; I think I make it up in added gain, and my sig reports are plenty good on this band, too. (I run it through an MFJ-971 QRP tuner.)

3. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Caught a fun one today - heard K5LSU calling CQ and had a nice QSO. I'm digging the QCX, it is a joy in operation.

Today was the day I finally finished the LoTW / RUMlogNG integration here. Not too frustrating, the RUMlogNG help files together with the txt files that come with TQSL were sufficient. I'm definitely going to have to spend some more time acclimating to the intricacies of LoTW before I hit the road and start traveling in a few weeks.

4. N8AFT

FB Al, Maybe this summer you can experiment using open wires and a tuner instead of the coaxial cable.
    That would give you a full wave on 40 as well as ability to also load up on the other bands with just the one wire.
    Yes, I use the High-Gain wire exclusively here... :p it only costs pennys more to run the finest!

5. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Late report from yesterday's QRP SOTA activities enacted from the tops of two fine mountains in MO: Bell and Buford. 15 contacts from the top of each, across 80 40 and 20. 40m was the winner as usual. Antenna is my normal 60' EF into a 9:1 matchbox.

I sure do love this KX2.

Attached Files:

W4POT and KC8VWM like this.
  6. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm surely tempted to pull the trigger on the KX2 or 3, but I'm going to wring the fun out of this SG first. Sweet looking rig, and from what I hear THE rig for QRP CW.

7. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I should have noted those were SSB contacts. My wife and I did the hikes together and she's not a CWer, so ssb it is.

That said, it really is a fantastic rig for code. The ability to adjust the filter width, the auto spotting etc etc. Really nice. I have the paddles that attach to it too, so one less thing to haul to the mountaintop etc. Really neat piece of kit.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. N8AFT

A KX2 would make a nice retirement present for me if anyone is planning ahead.
    I might retire in 2 yrs.... :p

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone working the CW DX contest?
    I thought I'd try some casual single op, single band (40m), QRP.
    My only contact so far... KH6J! Just about exactly 1000 miles/watt. :D I might QSL that one.

KU4X likes this.
  10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So far...
    HI, NH, Slovenia, Czech, VA, Santana Madeira Is., NS, PA, England, NF, PE, ON, Ukraine, all 40m, 5W.
    40m wasn't very busy until 19:00Z, then the floodgates opened. A good contest for QRPers... these big contest stations usually have good ears.

US7IGN likes this.