ad: chuckmartin

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a KX2 on loan for few months and been running 10W mostly. (Taking KX2 to Mt. Whitney on the 26th)
    Have had many fun contacts and a fair amt of solid 55/55 contacts as well. All domestic BUT- had Italy trying for my suffix over and over one night from the beach- so close!!
    Last night was 15 over S9 in Utah!! I was watching the waves at beach in Los Angeles. I have used a 66' 40m end fed mostly. Couple nights ago used a 135' end fed but difficult to find places to set up.
    My home QTH has QRM and general S6 to S8 noise levels. Portable ops I have S0-S3 noise. Huge advantage. Plenty of 5/2 and up stations heard.
    Some pics: http://www.cliffordnovey.com/?p=7285
    Clifford

K8AI likes this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice pics. A couple of years ago world-wide QRP phone ops were quite possible. 10 meters was open daily when I first got my ticket and I made it into New Zealand and Buenos Aires. 17 was hot, too. Now, not so much.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent! please post again, especially on SOTA lists.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Ran my 'new' HW-8 yesterday and had two solid CW QSO's.
    First one being a 2x QRP QSO 470miles away with my 2 watts into a full wave Hertz.
    The HW-8 is a new challenge to operate. It is Very bare bones and seat of the pants operating.

5. KM4DYX

Hoisted my PAR Trail Friendly end fed up a tree into a near-vertical config in the back yard. Downloaded a couple of Winlink emails thru AJ4GU.

Did some wspr. Hit VE6JY at 2063 miles with one watt on 20 meters. Nice to be able to hop from 40 to 20 without changing a thing.

KM4DYX Out.

6. KM4DYX

That HW-8 looks like one cool rig.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder about the guys who live in a noisy location or have a crappy antenna, and constantly run a KW . When you answer them with QRP and they never hear it ! If you answer them with 100 W they never hear it. If you answer them with a KW they barely hear it and then question your transmitter/antenna system as defective :eek:

KD8ZM, N8AFT and KF5FEI like this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT BAND ? makes a big difference.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Barely hear ?
    Do you have noise? do you have the narrowest filter for the mode? Can you adjust the passband up and down to get the best signal? Do you have a decent antenna for the bands where you operate?
    There are a lot of ways to improve your reception of weak signals.
    I often hear a QRP operator better than he hears my 100 W, I wonder why ? So many variables you can work on.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

The QSO's were both on 40m with the lil HW-8... around 2pm edt.