ad: chuckmartin

What kind of operator are you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8UEI, Apr 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you mainly a contester? A ragchewer? A dxer casual or otherwise?

I am a casual DX-er and net person. I like my QSOs short and sweet because I'm quite introverted and shy. However, I love to test the limits of propagation.

AD5KO and AL4Y like this.
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rag Chewer....

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Having been licensed for almost 58-years, the answer to that question is a definite yes!

Over the years, I have tried a LOT of things except for SSTV and using a computer to make contacts.

Today, whatever "tickles my fancy" when I get up. Might be chasing DX, might be rag chewing, might be weak signal operation on VHF or UHF, might be contesting (if there is a major contest brewing), might be ATV (on 70 cm), or it might be just SWLing!

Glen, K9STH

W1XWX, KI5WW, K3XR and 2 others like this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Appliance operator!!...LOL!!

I'm sure some of us OTers recognize that term from yesteryear.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    K1OIK likes this.
  5. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Licensed since 1982, active on and off over the years, interests change and evolve. Right now I mainly chase DX on HF and 6 meters using SSB, CW, or JT65. I love digital modes because I can multi task in the shack and still keep a QSO going. I will ragchew with some of the locals on 10M SSB and 2M FM. In the past I was heavy into fast scan ATV on 70cm. I plan on doing digital ATV soon. Recently I discovered MSK144 and am playing with that on 6 meters. When something comes around that catches my interest I will pursue it for a bit until something else interests me. I guess you could say I have amateur radio A.D.D.

KF2M likes this.
  6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Little bit of everything. I like to chase HF DX ( all modes ), Chase grids on 6M, participate in DX and other contests ( I rarely submit a log though ) , I work a lot of digital JT65, JT9, a bit of MSK144 scatter, RTTY, and some others. I check into a HF net ( 75M , yes ! ) daily and some others on occasion. I ragchew on 2M FM simplex and repeaters with friends in the area from home and have a 2M FM rig in the pickup and usually carry an HT in the vehicle. I have an IRLP ( 70cm ) node ( IRLP node 8265 ) at my house and also use Echolink for checking into some nets and talking to friends that are not HF enabled. Little bit of a lot of things...

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

AB-

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto, with not nearly as much time to enjoy the hobby as I wish...

NK2U and KC8VWM like this.
  9. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Casual CW operator on HF.
    I like the challenge of making contacts at QRP levels which are usually short contacts.

10. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm more of a casual contester / DXer / Paper-chaser.

I've played around a lot recently with JT65 and have done some SSTV in the past as well. I guess whatever tickles my fancy at the moment.