What is this QRZCQ.COM BS?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W5LMM, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
  1. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like a total ripoff of qrz.com to me. started showing up in my searches.

I appreciate all the hard work by Fred Lloyd in creating and maintaining QRZ.COM, and will continue to support it.
  2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know you're doing really well when others imitate you, or steal your idea.
    There have been others coming out of the shadows that profess to be the best. They're just followers.
    Have fun
  3. AB3RI

AB3RI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've just visited qrzcq.com and I see no similarity to qrz.com. It's just another website. Nothing more. And, I see some interesting features that are unique.
    Please list what you feel is being stolen by qrzcq.com and I'll take another look.
  4. BX2ABT

BX2ABT Ham Member QRZ Page

Qrz.com doesn't have the sole right to a database of call signs. In fact, competition means choice. Qrzcq.com is based in Germany. HamQTH.com in the Czech Republic. China has qrz.cn and Russia has an own database/website as well. You are free to support the one you like best, but please don't start calling names to the ones you are not familiar with.
  5. N1MLF

N1MLF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just checked it out and it was interesting enough for me to register.. I'll ride with it for awhile & see how it works out.
  6. AB3RI

AB3RI Ham Member QRZ Page

N1MLF, I was just staring at your avatar and I forgot my name. :confused: Why am I typing this? I've never felt like this before. :cool:
    I don't like things that I can't explain. Now, I'm getting angry. :mad:

Sorry, what were we talking about?

7. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got your torus in a twist?
  8. VK5TM

VK5TM Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of them have inaccurate information too. I sent a correction to one of them. They made some changes, but it is still wrong.

The only place my info is correct is here on QRZ.COM and the Australian ACMA database.

Terry VK5TM
  9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Waukesha, WI is in the middle of southern Missouri!
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I checked them out - and registered. Different from here, but has cool features in its own right.

11. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

You didn't tell them I referred you!
  12. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Variety is the spice of life. No on is forcing anyone to visit or join that site.

I agree with Dave, it does have some interesting features.
  13. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

The mentioned site has data stolen from QRZ. The funny thing is, they claim the "copyright" to their site while using stolen data. How do I know that? Data exists on QRZ that exists no where else, including various "'dummy" data that is nonsense, yet shows up on the fraudulent site.

You won't find my call there as i have no intention of supporting a site that steals data then tries to publish it as its own. The folks running the site are fraudulent scum, nothing more.

14. KA9OFN

KA9OFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is "stealing" from whom? Isn't QRZ.com just a ripoff of the FCC database, with some user forums and articles thrown in to make things interesting? Sorry, but I don't see what the big deal is. I support & appreciate the efforts of qrz.com too but that doesn't mean everyone else is BS.

I think qrzcq.com is very well done for an early beta effort. Good luck to them.
  15. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob - can you link to SPECIFICALLY what stolen "dummy data" they have there? Now
    ya got me curious...

16. W4PG

Then by all means, try to look up all the calls on the FCC database. Good luck with the DX. The DX calls you see here are proprietary to QRZ and nothing else. Daily we enter (by request) dozens of DX calls with information that exists no where else, including biography information added by those stations. That information is no where to be found except QRZ. To that extent, those who "copy" that information are stealing the intellectual property of QRZ.

The FCC information is free to anyone who wishes to use it. As such, it can't be "stolen," as it's public record. Not so the information that exists on a private web site that has built itself over years and years of hard work. Had you done something similar, I'm sure you would take issue with someone who stole your work then tries to present it as their own.

17. W4PG

Maybe in the afterlife. :)
  18. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

What is that thing ??? It's like a psychedelic obelisk.. I like it..

Attached Files:

19. KI6DCB

KI6DCB Ham Member QRZ Page

New Madrid acting up again?
  20. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This one might be a good callsign to check for theft............Err, "artistic liberty" by other sites. :)

Tom KC├śW
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.