What is this mode??

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4PG, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While listening to PSK tonight on 20 meters, I heard a strange noise that may be some digital mode I couldn't ID. If you listen to the attached MP3, you will hear the "noise" from the beginning. It stops several seconds into the recording then begins again at about 30 seconds or so. You can hear other PSK signals in the background.

What is it? :confused:

2. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it 2012 yet???

That sounded like the engineering deck on the Starship Enterprise to me. Or like a deep space beacon or something. :D

3. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a grossly overmodulated PSK31 signal, or possibly one with RF feedback.

4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week they discovered a new galaxy 120 light years away from earth. Could somebody be trying to contact us ? Just wondering

G0GQK

5. SOUTHINDIAN

SOUTHINDIAN QRZ Member

Thanks for sharing the information.

6. K3DY

K3DY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a vaccum cleaner :D

7. M0WAN

M0WAN Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a fairly wideband signal, white noise in nature. I reckon it's someone simply keying their mic whilst holding it near the source of such a noise whilst on the PSK frequencies. The signal is subject to 'phasing', suggesting it is arriving as a skywave. How does it sound if you lower the VFO a KHz or so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.