What is the highest gain possible 2-meters mobile antenna that can be used with a magnet mount base

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC0BUS, Mar 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hit a repeater 55 miles away with a 1/4 wave multiple times a week. I've done a comparison with a 5/8 wave and the received signal from both antennas from the repeater is the same. I can open my friends commercial repeater with a HT using its stock antenna from 25 miles away.

2. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm.... after selling & trading in vehicles with thru-the-roof mounts, it makes ZERO difference in resale value to just leave the NMO or 3/8" post there, some people might appreciate having a tail of coax ready to go for their radio. I've capped the NMO with a little black cover, pulled them completely out and put a flat plastic plug in the hole - every the dealer/buyer said it was perfectly fine.

Scratches all over the roof, door, dents, or worse, holes on the dash, tape/cracks on gauges - damages to the stuff people look at while driving - anathema! Roof..? no problem.
    It's easier to spin the antenna off for the car wash, than keep scratching the heck out of the roof and creating rusty scratches with a mag mount (white vehicles show it especially well). Yea, my boss said, "No roof holes!!!" But, a mag mount is just fine - and seeing that spot where the mag mount antenna has been sliding around, mag mounts are a bad idea - it's RUSTING a 5" spot. Touch-up paint really looks like crap, but a little capped, NMO looks like it belongs there.. a factory installed HAM option.

Which diminishes the value of a vehicle more? An antenna on the roof, or the screw holes from mounting your radio & microphone holder around the dash? How long will you stare at tiny little holes & cracks in the dash, before plugging them or covering them up? But a thru-the-roof mount? Quickly forgotten.

KV6O and AI7PM like this.
  3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill, I could not agree more!

Where this "I can't/won't/wife's car/lease car" scenario started, I cannot say. The latter reason "It is a lease car" is the worst of all excuses, and I could write a book about that excuse alone!

I'm also taken back about wiring, fusing, and other issues any amateur radio licensee should know. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for these issues, other than to recommend they buy and read an ARRL Handbook. But based on sales versus new licensee numbers, less than 10% buy a handbook.

AI7PM and W5PFG like this.
  4. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not going to touch on the so called "ignorant HAM" or "appliance operator" stuff I get called on the air - because I'm not an RF engineer. Everyone ought to at least strive to learn more about the hobby after they get their license (and skip arguing over variables they can't control). The hobby is FUN, because experimenting is FUN, minimal test gear required, and lots of people (like yourself), have put some serious time into fine tuning for peak performance - making some of us mobile contest winners! (... thanks man...)

Wifey got a Titan XD diesel 4x4... She quit saying, "No holes in the roof...", because it doesn't make a lick of difference in trade-in value.
    ..and the same people who won't drill a hole, show up at a dealership with a dirty, messy vehicle thinking, "Why should I cough up $100 to have it detailed, they dealer is going to do that, I'll just pocket it ...", not realizing an unkept vehicle is more likely to knock off hundreds of dollars, raise suspicions you beat the hell out of it and want to screw the dealer!

Just gonna make a GUESS.... I suppose I'll have to test it and post results. I *think* I get +20% greater reach with a thru-the-roof mount, compared to a magnet mount.
    not opening repeaters, but ability to HEAR the darn things - yes, I *know* a thru-the-roof antenna receives better than a mag mount. Mag-mount people probably like the sound of popcorn popping, DMR dropouts and SSB hash. I've said it over and over, the biggest issue with mobile HAMS is the inability to hear signals. The test for me has been whether or not I can work QRP stations while moving. If I can't hear any, my antenna sucks... probably not RESONATE on frequency... ie, a 50 ohm fiberglass dummy load over a crappy ground.

I got my own problem, figuring out how I'm gonna mount a 12lb monster HF antenna on an antenna unfriendly truck - wifeys!

K3RW likes this.
  5. AC1GX

AC1GX Ham Member QRZ Page

An observation from a new ham, and new to this forum. The original poster asked a rather specific question. Someone immediately came out with the "Why Do That?" thing and hijacked the thread.
    I got here by doing the right thing, researching some related posts before starting a new thread, and here we are discussing car leases. No moderator in sight -- but perhaps they'll see my post has nothing to do with the original question and remove it...

K3RW and KE8FWJ like this.
  6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The lease issue is a cop out for not doing the installation correctly. I've heard it so many times, it is now in the mobile lexicon as excuse number one!

7. KE8FWJ

KE8FWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

He was asking for info on a highest possible gain antenna for 2m using a magnet mount. Not trying to be confrontational, why does he have to explain “why?” Browbeating someone over a legitimate question is rather rude and not necessary. Others may also be curious to the answer and suggestions aligned with what the OP asked.

K3RW likes this.
  8. KE8FWJ

9. KE8FWJ

Edited to add, my 30 minutes edit time has expired :)

I got two of these and re-installed all the six magnets on a 3 X 1 ft sheet with Breedlove mounts for the 3/8 and NMO. NMO is used for 2m (FM & APRS) and using a Larsen OM-150 EFHW. The 3/8 is for 10m whip. Also installing another NMO for a Larsen NMO2/70 for DMR. Photos available on request.

Has anyone else got more gain on their aerials? ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  10. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Because the answer to someone wanting the best antenna for contacting repeaters while driving around town can be different from someone wanting to drive to a mountain/hill top and stop with the antenna pointed in a specific direction to make a long distance contact. Best "gain" omnidirectionally =/= best gain directionally.

AG6QR likes this.