ad: Waters-2

What is the best material to use for enclosing a porch (exterior walls)?

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KA8RAW, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KA8RAW

KA8RAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to enclose a porch, but I am unsure of the proper material to use.
    I need something 1/2" or 7/16" thick, and would like 4'x8' sheets preferably.
    I was looking at a 50 year siding that is used in the construction of sheds, and sells for about $25 per sheet,
    but I would also like to get other ideas. The material will be used as the exterior walls of the porch, so something
    that has good water resistance is what I am looking for.
    Low cost, easy installation are important.

I'll bet there are many hams that are contractors, or have construction experience, so please throw some ideas at me.

2. KJ4CCH

KJ4CCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey,

You could do a screen enclosure. It would be cheaper! my Grandmother years ago, had a porch, and she had like a metal frame around it. It was like a shed, much like what your talking about.But it gets HOT in there with out a fan.

3. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I like T-111 a lot but I'm sure there's a better substitute today. What do you want to use the porch for after it is enclosed?

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you could check with some neighbors who have done this and get their experiences.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. N3HQN

N3HQN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to close it in as though it were going to be a room. No screens that type of thing. Look into the "Hardie" panel products. Great stuff. Long lasting. There are pros and cons to it but, I have used it for customers in the past and never had a complaint. I guess you could use it even if you were going to have screened in windows. Duh! Oh by the way work is slow here.... need a price on the job?

6. KD8HLY

KD8HLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering the place where you live,, you might want to put up something

Bullitproof ! Does "Kevlar" come in 4x8 sheets ?

Toledo has had 6 shootings in a five day period,, Like living in the old west, only without

the horses !

73 KD8HLY George

7. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

You could use ½” CDX and paint it or put siding on it.

I used to build a few sheds for folks in a years time and used an embossed plywood that looked a lot like the old time clapboard buildings.

With a coat of paint it will last for many years. Most of the shed kits you can get from the big box stores use blandex chip board. If you keep that stuff painted it can last for a long time too.

Be sure to properly stud your porch. ½ inch plywood is rated for 24” span but I always invest the additional 2X4’s to fill the space. Set your 2X4’s at 16” on center. You’ll thank yourself for doing the job right later.

You might also think about investing in 2” Styrofoam insulation. My shed out back has only ½” Styrofoam for insulation and it helps keep things cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

I have a piece of 1X6 lumber with a little frame and some expanded metal over it all. There are two sockets with 100 watt incandescent light bulbs in it. when placed on the floor will warm it up to where you don’t need gloves when your working on things. When I know I’m going to be out there working on things in the winter I’ll turn the lights on the night before and just leave them on.

It really makes a difference.

8. KA8RAW

Just to relax and enjoy.

We just had 6 more over the holiday weekend, wonder how much Kevlar costs?

HQN, I am considering Hardie Panels, they seem quite nice.

VQF, If I could find an exact match for the siding on the house, I would probably go that route.

9. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi RAW, Mercy....typical conflicting-unreasonable request.

Your title says "best" then you also want it for "low cost." Those two never go together. Pick one but ya can't have both.

Your porch exterior should also match the construction or at least the looks of the rest of the house.....or it won't look right.

What is your house sided with? Put same on porch if possible.

10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

When I enclosed both our front and back porches I used CDX and then put vinyl siding over that, painted to match the rest of the house. Are you putting in some windows? And when you do insulation and the inside walls put some electrical outlets in--always a good thing to have.

11. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

If not Kevlar then adobe or reinforced cinder blocks, yeow that's a lot of violence.

I asked an old friend who is in the carpenter business here, he recommended the Hardie Panels as they are very durable.

12. KA8RAW

Yes, I will be adding windows and a couple of electrical outlets. I may take a small sample of the siding to see if I can get a close match, if not, Hardie panels will probably be what I end up using.

13. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a tool shed that is largely made of Hardieplank. I highly recommend it: It will not rot or warp and "holds" paint very well.

Good luck, OM.

14. N3HQN

N3HQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Good choice. Again, work is slow..... Need an estimate? LoL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.