What is it we're supposed to do?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9NKJ, Jul 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

And as much as I try indentations to create paragraphs. This app is preventing me from doing so. So I'm sorry that it appears that I'm not.

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading through all of this, my suggestion for maximum efficiency is you both learn morse. With the following exception; set up hardware to convert the sounds to light or vibration. HandiHams can get you in the right direction. I feel this method will give you the best bang for your buck and you will avoid most of the nonsense you experienced on phone.

Plus, your wife can decode the conversation for herself 100% which has its own satisfaction level. Plus, get your general OM. Just sayin ;)

K8BZ and KA0HCP like this.
  3. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Who else is taking their ability to easily enjoy amateur radio for granted a lot less now?

@KD9NKJ, considering the challenges, the solution will be truly rewarding! Definitely explore speech to text software. It's come a long way in recent years.

KC9ONY, WE4E, K8BZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

None of what you are implying is what transpired. It was just a case of them not feeling we were operating properly. Plain and simple. Then insulting us by insinuating we weren't telling the truth. Look, it shouldn't be where I have to defend myself to every Tom, Dick, and Harry Operator that feels they are there to do the job of the FCC and monitor whose in their net and enforce the laws. We did not wish to initiate an argument over anything. Nor did we argue about it either. We merely were trying to request a moment of time to ask about the RF issue. Hoping to get a friendly response to a question. Not anything like you are describing in your post.
    I was in the Army Signal Corp for several years Sir. Working at the US Army Signal Warfare Laboratory at Vint Hill Farms Station, Virginia. So I do have at least a basic knowledge of radio protocol. Not to mention I grew up around radios from my childhood. So it wasn't a issue of improper radio procedure. No CB slang was said, nor has then cause to feel I've been whining about it. Frankly it's inappropriate for you to be implying this.

N7UJU, WZ7U and K8BZ like this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

You *really* need to explore the non-verbal aspects of ham radio. On my boat the only free time I have to operate is usually late at night and I can't work voice modes without waking everyone else up. My solution was PSK31. The various computer aided digital modes can be a ton of fun and avoid all the hearing challenges. You can do computer CW too and you will eventually find yourself getting better than the computer at decoding it.
    As far as doing something wrong and making people mad, just having the nerve to operate on 80 if you haven't known the "illness of the month" gang forever and ever is a huge issue right there before you actually get to talking :rolleyes:

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with others in regard to looking at other modes. I have relatively minor hearing troubles and for that reason I choose simply not to use phone. Fortunately I can if I want to but I don't find it pleasant having to struggle to understand things.
    GL!

7. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a percentage of jerks in the world. Some are hams. Don't give up on us yet.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

75 meter SSB is not a place I'd "jump in" as a new operator, nor the place I'd recommend.

Why start there? It's the main band for cliques, nets that don't care about newcomers, geriatric complaints, jammers and all sorts of crap.:)

As someone who's been active for 53 years on lots of bands and modes, I'd recommend two things: Stay away from 75 meters, when there are so many other places to be; and don't get involved with nets unless you find one specifically dedicated to something of your interest, e.g., "The basket-weaving net" or whatever.

AG5DB and KA0HCP like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Say again?":)

10. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The control operator no longer has to physically operate the controls. I remember those days, but have you been to Field Day in the last decade or so? Have you seen the GOTA station - where unlicensed or underlicensed ops operate the radio under the supervision of a licensee of the appropriate level? This also happens on Kids Day in many cases. Teaching them to tune in SSB is half the fun.

As for the problems being experienced - it may be that you have stray RF in the shack. Another possibility is you are simply too close to the antenna on 80 meters. RFI will be worse at lower frequencies, largely due to this phenomenon. Within a half wavelength of the antenna, you are in the 'near field' of the antenna, and RF energy will be maximum there. On 75/80 meters, that half wavelength is 132 feet. On 40, it's half of that or 66'.

When I was a newly minted General, at 14, my father who was a long time ham advised me to stay off of 75/80 and 20 meter phone until I was "more mature". I've been on Medicare for a couple years, and I'm still not that mature! Indeed, it's one of the reasons I have gravitated to CW and digital modes. I do digital on 80 at least once a week, thunderstorms permitting.

I don't know about the present, but there have been many deaf hams in the past. They mostly worked CW, but I've encountered a few on digital. They generally use modified loudspeakers as transducers, so they can feel the code with their fingers. I recall there being at least one ham who was both deaf and blind. I usually turn the sound off when I'm doing digital or doing CW like it was a digital mode - letting the computer copy it for me. I usually only do that to prove that it can be done.

I you have separate units in the shack, like radio and antenna tuner, often, just bonding their cases together will eliminate stray RF in the shack. The idea is to eliminate any RF potential differences between boxes. No potential difference + no RF current, and hopefully no RFI.

Have you contacted the makers of her implant devices for advice? I wonder if she could understand the digital voice used on VHF/UHF. FM is certainly quieter than HF SSB unless the signals are very strong.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019