What is it we're supposed to do?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9NKJ, Jul 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was using her call sign. And she tried identifying herself with her own call sign at least 3 or 4 times.

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In that case the whole story doesn't make any sense to me.

Are you sure you didn't say or do something to peeve someone off? Even by accident?

I ask because we occassionally see posts like this where someone, usually a newer ham, goes on and on about being a victim of other hams, usually older hams, picking on them for no reason. But then sometimes, if both sides of the story emerge, it turns out there was a misunderstanding of some sort or even something dumb said or done, that set someone off.

Not saying that you did something dumb or wrong, but it's a possibility that you did but without realizing it. Sometimes all it takes is someone breaking into a round-table at an inappropriate moment and asking for a "Radio Check" or using CB slang. Or breaking into a group of old-timers and saying something like "I am glad I didn't have to take that stupid CW test!".

If it truly was a matter of older hams picking on you for no reason ... which does happen ... then the best thing to do is "spin the dial". Arguing with them is not going to change anything. Go find someone else to talk to.

If you did say something that triggered this response you're describing, even by accident, then just move on. Complaining about it on the internet is just going to make it worse, get you a "stalker" to follow you around on the air and harass you, or get you a reputation as a whiner.

Or if it's a group that you really want to be involved with, just apologize and see if they'll give you another chance.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried listening to CW? Possibly it could be easier for your wife to hear. You should check it out at least. If it seems promising you will of course have to spend some time and effort to learn Morse Code. That might be fun since you will have each other to practice code with.

Most CW ops will also be tolerant of new operators, so long as you follow basic procedures. It's pretty common for new ops to ask for repeats or request slower sending; not a cause for ridicule.

K8AI, KI4AX and NN4RH like this.
  4. NN4RH

As for the hearing problem I am not clear on what exactly the problem is since I don't know anything about the devices you mention and the first post is convoluted. But my impression is that it's some sort of audio issue with the hearing devices, not an RFI problem. If that is the case, then:

If she can't hear it anyway, and all the audio from the radio is doing is messing with her hearing devices, while you have to translate for her, as you said, then would it help if you wear headphones ? Then whatever is coming through the radio audio shouldn't affect her, and you'll still be able to hear it and translate for her. Just a thought.

5. NN4RH

Or digital modes. Hearing impairments would be irrelevant then.

K8AI and KI4AX like this.
  6. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Being new Hams I would like to welcome you.

Yes, get your General. That will certainly help.

Perhaps, until you have been around the 'block' once or twice, it might be prudent to stay off 80 meters. Generally speaking 80 meters is mostly a 'regional' band. Yes there is some DX on 80 meters, but a lot of 80 meter traffic will be from near by states and of the 'good buddy' nature. There are a lot of 'cliques' on 80 meters and they do not readily accept others into their groups. You might try 40 meters. The antennas are shorter and there are not so may 'good buddies' there.

I agree with the idea of trying CW. Whole different head on the CW sub-bands. Perhaps there is a way to convert the CW signals into mechanical vibrations or flashing lights that would negate the need for your wife's implants? Of course now days computers are quite proficient at sending CW and that might be option.

My advice to you, unfortunately, would be to develop a 'thick skin' and let these kinds of encounters go and don't dwell on them. You will find all kinds on the Ham Bands and some of them are not friendly or cordial. In fact you will find some of them are down right (expletive deleted). Don't let it get you down. As others have suggested just spin the dial and continue having fun....

Dan KI4AX

VE1DDD likes this.
  7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am pretty much repeating here what others have said with a few additions:
    1. Paragraphs. learn them use them love them
    2. Stay off 80 meters. This is more or less the CB band of ham radio.
    3. Get a general class yourself! How hard can it be to memorize a few more questions?
    4. RF issues in your shack can be very frequency dependent. You may have no issues on some or all of the other HF bands.
    5. Digital modes. I know FT8 has made it much harder to get a keyboard QSO going than in years past, but you can still probably find some PSK31 and RTTY comes out to play for contests.
    6. Invest in some ferrites and see what you can do to keep RF out of the shack.
    7. CW may be easier to deal with.
    8. There are a number of hams that would spend all day arguing about the exact number of millimeters a control operator has to be from the radio. Just find happier people to talk to.
    9. If you come down with heart failure, worms, or gallbladder issues there are 80 meter nets for that stuff :p:rolleyes:

This reminds me of a deaf couple I met in the 1990s who were taking off sailing. They wanted to keep in touch, but the SSB was obviously useless to them. I got them set up on SITOR and they were thrilled to be able to type messages. This was a big deal back then.

KI4AX and W1TRY like this.
  8. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might I suggest trying to resolve the issue with the implants and investigate a method of "pairing" the implants with the radio audio output, much like a cellphone. As for issue related to transmitting, you might involve the implant manufacturer, doctor or hearing center. Given the available technology, I believe that a solution can be found where your wife can participate fully without compromise given the right assistance. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

KI4AX likes this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of good suggestions here. I'll mention a couple more.

80 meters is a very high static band this time of year. It will quite down a lot in the winter time. Try 40 meters at times when there are no storms within a couple hundred miles of you. Or 20 meters during the day. Quieter bands may help her problem with receiving through the static.

Also, I have noticed on YouTube videos that lots of hams that post videos keep their RF gain completely open, or at least it sure sounds that way. You can reduce static quite a bit by turning you RF gain down to a point where the static is significantly reduced but you can still hear the desired signal well.

A lot of hams knock FT8 (and now FT4) digital modes but you can get on those modes quickly and at little cost with a SignaLink USB external sound card and free software that you will find here:

https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/

FT4 probably wont hold your interest forever but it can be a way to keep you both active on the air until you work out the other issues. But the software also includes other interesting modes like WSPR for very weak signal propagation investigation, and MSK144 for meteor scatter propagation mode on 6 meters and higher frequencies. You can have QSO's on 6 meters with MSK144 with 100 watts.

There are solutions to the technical issues you are facing and if you are persistent you will come up with them. Don't give up. Work on learning CW. It will open a world of operational adventure to you with little of the trouble you have described.

As for the rude remarks a wise man once told me, "never return the bray of a jack ass". It's probably good advise that I don't always follow myself, but what the heck.

KI4AX and (deleted member) like this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

good answer.

the usual culprit though is RFI - it causes issues with many devices and I'm sure your wife's devices are susceptible to the same issues. I'd start by ensuring your antenna is efficient - i.e. resonant, good feedline, no need for a 'tuner', etc.

You should also choose your nets more wisely. I don't think the 'friendly bunch' is known to be friendly. I think they named themselves such to be ironic. I've never listened to them but there are a few members on a local repeater here to rehash the 'fun' they had on the net the previous night... sounds like a terrible bunch of people, frankly.

Dave had a good suggestion - look for a handi ham net. That and digital modes might be your best bet. Oh, and get your general :)

W1TRY likes this.