What is it we're supposed to do?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9NKJ, Jul 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife and I are both newly licensed ham operators. My call sign is KD9NKJ, and her's is KD9NKK. We enjoy both working the radio together, except there is a complication that we can't seem to overcome. One that myself can overcome by just passing the general exam, which I'm trying, believe me. But my wife however may never overcome the prejudices of others it may seem. My wife is deaf. She has cochlear implants but they interfere with the transmission. She hasn't yet been able to even begin to keep her hearing aids on her head because they give her a migraine just trying to hear through all the static and interference. Not to mention that when she tries transmitting, her implants only shut off when she's keying the mic. Then they won't work for several minutes after that. It is a issue when we're trying to talk on HF mostly. You see I am but a Tech and she a General Class. Each time we try calling on HF say 80 meters, she has to turn down the radio's volume to zero, then transmit without having her cochlear devices attached to her head. We then turn up the volume on the radio and wait for a reply. In which I'll translate to her what's coming in from over the radio through whatever static. Ok, that's only part of the problem. The rest is that when she's sitting there right beside me, and I began to talk on the radio with her, problems begin. We get so much ridicule from other hams that it sometimes makes us both so angry we just give up. Like tonight, we were attempting to log into a net on 80 meters. She wasn't wanting to mess with having her cochlear devices on, nor was she wanting to take a chance at getting a headache. So since we were only wishing to ask a few technical questions concerning the RF issue we're having, I made the call for her using her call sign. Before going any farther, we both have the same elmer and he's been in ham radio for 30 years or more. He has told us repeatedly that there shouldn't be a issue for both of us to transmit on the HF bands using her call sign as long as she is in the room. We even had a discussion here about a week ago concerning this very issue. We had difficulty then trying to get several ham operators to be convinced that we were operating legally. Even after she did her best to tell them on the air that she was there, present in the room, and them acknowledging they heard her. This was on frquency 3.810.00. That bunch then insisted we were operating illegally and one of them even convinced the others that they were breaking the rules by conversing with us. He even told her over the radio, I translated of course. That she was violating FCC rules by allowing me to talk using her call sign every ten minutes. Well we came away from that conversation confused and upset nearly to where she became distraught from all their rude comments concerning her disability. Well we clarified the issue with our Elmer a few days ago, and he insisted we could talk together on the air, and I could use Lisa's call sign when signing in. Tonight though was about the same treatment as before. Not as rudely though, much worse so. Tonight we just were both ignored by "The Friendly Bunch", on 3.919.00. I attempted to log into the net using her call sign. Again the issue of why Lisa wasn't speaking. I attempted to explain it to them, and she even tried logging in herself. One operator was rude enough to ask, "If she's deaf and can't hear us, how was she ever able to pass the test anyhow, unbelievable?" Then commented that we were being illegal by using someone else's call sign. So much for the friendly way both nets had for showing they were trying to advance the art of amateur radio. It's like some people have to feel as though they need to be doing the enforcement of clearing the radio waves by not only making wrongful accusations, but insulting other operators along the way.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Paragraphs are your friend :)

KD8ZMN, AB4KA, W0AQ and 12 others like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Stay off of 80m
    Use a digital mode
    Learn cw
    Find a handiham net
    Pass your general

K8AI, KA0HCP, K7MH and 8 others like this.
  4. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, there are those that can't comprehend the possibility that people that are "deaf" can actually hear with assistance, and that being able to hear is not, and should never be classified as, a prerequisite to having an Amateur Radio license.

Agreed. Digital is a good way of getting away from the people that you've had the unpleasant experiences with.

KA4VNM, WU8Y and VE1DDD like this.
  5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are all generally good advice. Yes, it sounds like there are some knuckleheads out there, they are wrong, and you are right. But I would just avoid such people in the first place.

I do have a couple of specific points. The RF from the radio shouldn't cause the implants to malfunction, it seems to me. The RF should be coming out of the antenna, and not the radio itself, so if there's that much RF floating around the shack, there is probably a problem that can be corrected.

If you're not already familiar with them, please seek out the Handihams. They have many years of experience helping people with various disabilities, and they can probably provide a lot of practical help and advice. http://handiham.org/wordpress1/

Strictly speaking, you can't operate just because she is "in the room." She can be the control operator, and you can talk during domestic contacts. But for her to be control operator, well, she needs to be operating the controls (or have them operated under her close supervision), not just be in the room. So strictly speaking, those knuckleheads were right when they said it wasn't legal. But I understood what you meant, and they probably did too. But it might be helpful to use a bit more precise language. Or better yet, just get your general, as it will make it a lot more fun.

Finally, yes, add paragraphs occasionally, as it makes it a lot easier to read.

KB9LXP, K7GQ, W4IOA and 1 other person like this.
  6. KD9NKJ

I understand the criticism of not giving paragraghs. But I believed I was under a restriction as to how many characters I could have.
    As was the case when I tried placing a comment in my bio. This was my first posting after all. I wasn't at all sure I would even get the thing to post.

As for her being at the controls of the radio, for the most part she was. It was to her advantage to do so where her disability came into play since she controlled the mic and dials. I was only speaking into the microphone. You could say she was operating and I was a spectator with some questions. She controlled nearly everything. Even up until when she was being insulted, and I then was translating verbatim. Then I was being told neither of us were staying on 80 meters.

I doubt we get on any HF bands anytime soon. Like I indicated, I'm trying hard to get my general license but it's been difficult getting this far. I am disabled myself (US Army Vet 80% VA rated) My disabilities are of a nature that I'm very long winded and unable to stay on topic. One to many concussions. Long paragraghs come natural to me anyway.

Our Elmer, Stu Sherfick(W9HRZ) is quick to tell us both what the rules are and we listen I assure you.

Thank you for the link. We will definitely check it out. 73

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. KD9NKJ

One other note worth pointing out. Our radio room is a small closet room no bigger than 6'×8'. We sit at a shelf side by side with the radio one foot away. It would be very difficult to determine just by being in the room, who controlled the radio at any moment in time. Especially in VOX mode. Just saying.

8. KD9NKJ

And we do sit directly underneath the antenna 55' above us.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Understatement of the month. (Well, at least THIS week so far.:()

K1OIK likes this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Withdrawn.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    K1OIK likes this.