ad: elecraft

What is Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

What is Ham Radio
    New video from the ARRL

VK3GOR, OM1AD, VK4LKG and 17 others like this.
  2. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and very TRUE
    73'S

KE8JNU likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Niiiice!!!!!

KE8JNU likes this.
  4. KJ6TSX

KJ6TSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just need to post it so non amateurs can see it

K0TWA, AJ4LN, KE8JNU and 2 others like this.
  5. W5MIL

W5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just need the ARRL to bring on more sunspots.

K0GOV, KE8JNU and K0UO like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The immediate use is for Field Day, to explain and 'sell' ham radio to non hams who drop by. Their attention span will be taxed beyond around 2 minutes. That's why you have the clipping of breath pauses on the audio.

There is an undercurrent of growth and club organization happening in ham radio which is both pleasantly surprising and a spells great things or our future.

ARRL, along with others, is asking: who is this new audience and how do we 'sell' to their interest?

KE8JNU and NU4R like this.
  7. PU2OLT

PU2OLT Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "KB7TBT, publicação: 5092002, membro: 195778"] O que é a Rádio amador?
    Novo vídeo da ARRL

[MEDIA = youtube] OExEEAFJ4oA [/ MEDIA] [/ QUOTE]

<br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br>.
    Eu encontrei uma família juntos no rádio amador. Convido todos a conhecer o meu blog sobre rádios.
    Oliveira PU2OLT
    São Paulo - SP Brasil
    Blog: http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com

8. G8VVY

G8VVY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video and it transposes well to other amateur communities around the world. As mentioned above, it is vitally important to keep engaging those outside the hobby - special event stations, construction events, emergency and other services support (RAYNET here in the UK) etc. I left the hobby for well over 20 years until around a year ago and the one thing that hadn't hadn't changed was the conviviality amongst amateur radio enthusiasts and their willingness to share information.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent use of time (short and a great overview, One of the better things that the ARRL has done in a while.

10. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done!

I was interested in 2-way radio, crystal radio sets for kits, SWL (JAZZ music from Australia late night), more SWL on the grey line, Technician Class license, SWL HCJB Ecuador, HF SWL, General Class license "Trail Friendly Radio" and portable antennas QRP.

I see ARRL Field Day, as an excellent opportunity for exposure to these things.

Each ARRL Field Day I have attended, or helped, was all about contest points, with almost no interaction with the public.

I think ARRL Field Day is an excellent opportunity for interaction with the public.

..yes, have watchful participants looking after theft.

..but, have tables with 2-way radios (even FRS, etc.) and tables with crystal radio sets (oatmeal box, and kits sold) and tables with CW and SSB "Trail Friendly Radios" for SOTA, POTA, etc. and have tables for SWL,and have tables for SDR and digital, and have AMSAT and ISS posters.

..and make presentations at elementary and middle school.

..and scouts.

It is this reaching out that keeps the interest in "how things work" vital ..in my opinion.

I saw it first at cub scouts.

11. KE8JNU

KE8JNU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video!! :) Even 10 year olds can contribute to tornado confirmation.

12. KE8JNU

KE8JNU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We can 'sell' to their interest by introducing youth!

W1YW likes this.
  13. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL spent years downplaying any interest in the huge HF /Backpack Portable and HF /Pedestrian Mobile popular movement that started becoming popular around 20 years ago.

It is fascinating to see both Hamvention and ARRL are now appropriating it, with HF /Pedestrian Mobile imagery in their promotions to attract operators.

There is a desire to attract new generations, particularly to HF.

But, younger generations see stereotype inequality and sexism in ham radio, such as depicted in this Hamvention poster promoted by ARRL:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    K0TWA, K1OIK and KE8JNU like this.
  14. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

KQ6XA,

When I started it was "boys only".

There was no babysitter, and that is how I came to sit quietly on the sidelines at a cub scout meeting.

It still operates much that way!

KE8JNU likes this.
  15. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Where you see stereotypical inequality and sexism I see chivalry and female empowerment. The boy is helping the girl up the hill, as a gentleman should. The girl is outdoors doing, presumably, what she wants and not left behind to cook and clean. Being equal does not mean being the same. Males are bigger and stronger, as a general rule, and so will tend to get to the top of the hill faster. We need to teach our young men to help others up the hill, because that's what gentlemen do.

K0TWA, AF9US, W4HM and 4 others like this.