What is a HAREC ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
  1. G4TUT

    G4TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

    What is a HAREC ?

    HAREC is a term that causes confusion for some. Brian Reay G8OSN has provided an explanation.

    From time to time questions come my way re 'HAREC' - what one is, what it does, etc.

    The following should, I hope, clarify the situation.

    A HAREC is a Harmonised Amateur Radio Examination Certificate. It is NOT a licence - it is more akin to an RAE or RCE pass slip (or perhaps the old Amateur Radio Certificate for those of us who remember those!).

    There is not a HAREC examination, there are several national examinations which the corresponding licensing authorities declare as meeting the needs of HAREC (as defined in Annex 6 of TR61-02 http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/official/pdf/TR6102.PDF).

    HAREC's are issued by national licensing authorities (eg OFCOM) who subscribe to CEPT.

    Initially, only CEPT countries were involved in HAREC but, some years back, the scheme was modified to allow non-CEPT countries to participate.

    HAREC's aren't issued to all licensees - only those who have passed an exam covering the requirements in the agreed spec (national administrations, it seems, determine compliance) and issue HARECs (generally for their 'top' licence).

    So, in the UK for example, a Full Licence holder can request a HAREC from OFCOM. HARECs were free but the recent situation hasn't been checked. It isn't an impressive looking document- more like a Civil Servant's letter!

    A HAREC holder can go to another HAREC country, present his HAREC, and apply for a licence- without needing to do the local exam.

    So, for example, a French HAREC holder could, on moving to the UK, apply for a UK Full Licence.

    Now the complications:

    Not everyone who supports CEPT licensing agreements issue or recognise HARECs (the USA being a notable example - they neither issue HARECs nor accept them).

    There was a previous HAREC specification (TR61-01) requiring Morse. Some countries still use this old specification to issue different classes of licence (like the old UK A and B scheme).

    Some countries (inc. the UK) will issue a Full Licence (or their equivalent) in the absence of a HAREC – eg the UK will issue a Full Licence to a US Extra licensee.

    How CEPT verify that a National licence complies with TR61-02 isn't 100% clear- the lower USA licensees were recently deemed not to comply, having previously been accepted. No noticeable change in the US licences had precipitated this change.

    Brian Reay G8OSN


    Related URL's

    No reciprocal licences for some Americans (2008)

    USA Technician - UK Full (Advanced) Licences (2005)

    A quick way to an Amateur Radio Advanced licence (2005)
  2. G0GQK

    G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

    Isn't that terminology just typical of the European Union. Very fond of harmony are our little bosses in Brussels ! About time they got some harmony going regarding OFCOM, and BT and the EU and put a stop to all this QRM which is being caused by Power Line Broadband. Do this and there would be a lot more harmony for radio amateurs in the UK

  3. KV1M

    KV1M Banned QRZ Page

    I was issued a Full Reciprocal License and a UK call (M0GLO) on the basis of my US Amateur Extra ticket.

    OFCOM was a bit confused about how to handle it though, I don't think they see much of that so it was new to most in the London office.
    I was assigned an officer to help me through it and for my £20 fee I now can operate in the UK for the duration of my US license.

    I do believe if I want a non reciprocal license I still have to retake the exams.
  4. KV1M

    KV1M Banned QRZ Page

    Where is BPL deployed over here?
  5. K5CO

    K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page


    Seems like EU likes to over complicate everything; except immigration
  6. KV1M

    KV1M Banned QRZ Page

    Really, you think so?
    I find things easier here. Less complicated overall.
    More freedoms as well.
  7. N2RJ

    N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    I took the city and guilds RAE in 1997 so my UK license (M0RAJ) is a full one and valid for life, but I have to go online and verify my details every 5 years.

    I wonder if I can get a HAREC certificate?
  8. KV1M

    KV1M Banned QRZ Page

    I would think you could if you were operating under your UK license in a HAREC country.

    They said my Full License was granted to me under CEPT.

    Does this mean we can operate in countries that allow UK operators but not US ones?
  9. PA5COR

    PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

  10. K5LAW

    K5LAW Ham Member QRZ Page


    So, on the strength of my UK Full license (G0JCZ) I could get a HAREC and apply for a full license in France or Italy? Hmmm... I wonder if Monaco would do it. Now that would be a memorable two week vacation, if I could get a location.
  11. PA5COR

    PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

    France won't work, you also need CW 12 words per minute there for HF, without CW its above 30 mHz alone all mode.
    Been there, done it ;)
  12. K5LAW

    K5LAW Ham Member QRZ Page

    That's OK. Had to pass 12 wpm Morse for the UK Full and 20 for the US Extra.
  13. PA5COR

    PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

    Then there will be no problems whatsoever ;)
  14. N8CPA

    N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page


    Isn't that the first half of the song those guys sing at the airport while one of them's soliciting donations?
  15. PA2RA

    PA2RA Ham Member QRZ Page

    Nice article, but TR6101 is not the HAREC specification requiring Morse.

    There are two HAREC guidelines by the ERC (European Radio Council):

    a) TR 6102: this HAREC regulates the exam requirements as mentioned in the article

    b) TR 6101: this HAREC regulates the temporary use of an amateur radio licence (CEPT 1/CEPT 2) in other countries for 90 days maximum. This was also known as the 'holiday regulation'. TR 6101 has nothing to do with morse

    CEPT 1 was known as the 'morse included' HAREC exam.
    CEPT 2 was known as the codeless HAREC exam.

    In most of the EU, currently only CEPT 2 licences are issued after abolishment of the morse requirement.

    73, Rene PA2RA
  16. PA5COR

    PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

  17. M0TZO

    M0TZO Ham Member QRZ Page

    Just checked, and my 2 Full UK licences (1 was my Uncles old callsign) they are both CEPT equivalent licence call 1 (well that's what's on page 1 of the licences anyway).
  18. PA5COR

    PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

    If you have proof of the CW exam you can get the citation if is the Full licnse with CW certificate.( CW included)

  19. G8OSN

    G8OSN Ham Member QRZ Page

    I would say almost certainly YES. The fact you did the "old" exam isn't relevant- I did I even older one (1978).

    By the way, I was a it surprised to see this thread. I posted the original information on a UK Instructor's group, was asked if it could be posted to a UK news site, now it is on QRZ. No problem, just suprised at the interest.

    G8OSN / W8OSN
  20. G8OSN

    G8OSN Ham Member QRZ Page

    I'm not 100% sure on that- there are always twists and turns in such things. However, as a general principle, reciprocal licenses are UK only- not intended to be used to get a HAREC, claiming further reciprocal licenses or operating priviliges in another country. There is a clause in the license covering this- from memory near the end of section 1- just before it breaks into French.

    HOWEVER, it really comes down to the other country. If you've a UK reciprocal and go to another country willing to accept it for either issuing of one of their licenses or reciprocal operting, that is up to them.


    G8OSN / W8OSN
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

ad: seapac-1