ad: SteppIR-1

what is 59k?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4FCR, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N4FCR

N4FCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey fellow hams. Might seem like a silly question but what does a signal report of 59k mean. I made several contacts this morning and a few times I heard signal reports of 59k. I searched around but couldn't find any info on it.

Thanks for anyone who will answer that for me

2. N1CZZ

N1CZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They were working the ARRL DX context. Signal report and State or country given.
    It appears the K is given for Germany or Austria. You should have sent back 59NC

3. N4FCR

Ok thanks. That would make sense but the stations I heard this morning were in South America.

Thanks for explaining it to me though. At least now I know what it is supposed to mean. I could have heard a germany station giving the 59k report to a South America station I guess

Thanks again for the response

4. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL DX contest exchange is.......

4.1. W/VE stations in the 48 contiguous United States and Canada (except in the islands of St Paul and Sable) send signal report and state or province.

4.2. DX stations send signal report and power (number indicating approximate transmitter output power).

59 K is a report from a DX station running high power, "K" for kilowatt.
    You'll probably hear some 59 100 too.

5. N4FCR

Ok that makes better sense. So if im at 200w. I should tell him he is 5/9 200?

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

4.1. W/VE stations in the 48 contiguous United States and Canada (except in the islands of St Paul and Sable) send signal report and state or province

no, reply: 5-9 NC

7. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you were operating CW a report of 5 9 9 K would indicate that you had excellent Readability, Signal-strength and Tone; however your signal had Key Clicks. If it were 5 9 9 C, it would indicate that you had a Chirpy signal.

8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it was part of a conversation you heard,"how much did you say for that pickup" 59K , "you must be jokin'"

G0GQK

9. KV0J

KV0J Ham Member QRZ Page

from what AC0H said, just the DX station reports their power output.

10. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Geesh . Let's just guess. :)

There is a contest going on. It is an ARRL contest.

DX stations give report and power. 59 K or better yet 59 KW would be 59 kilowatt. 59 200 would be you are 59 (everyone gets and gives 59) and they are running 200 watts.

US and VE stations give report and ARRL section. NOT power, NOT state, not mother's name.

11. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

Tom,

I guess that some scammers could run a contest, in which the exchange was RST, Mother's Maiden Name and Social Security Number.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.