ad: PortRo-1

what ht do you use??

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by N8NNX, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N8NNX

N8NNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Please post what ht you have. with all the new ht's coming out I thought a poll for maybe the new hams could see what everyone is using.

I will start

I have an Icom ic-v80

2. KD5SPX

KD5SPX Ham Member QRZ Page

TH-D72 Kenwood ...

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got a Baofeng UV-3R+PLUS.

[​IMG]

Haven't made a contact on it yet, but I heard myself on another radio so it DOES work.

4. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

None right now - but I used a VX-5R from 2001 to 2007 or so.

I think a Kenwood TH-F6A would be the next HT I get - having 220MHz seems a lot more useful to me than 6 meters on an HT, at least around here.

5. G4ALA

G4ALA Ham Member QRZ Page

Around 2.5 Kilovolts on my High Frequency Amplifier.

Or did you mean something else? Confusing these abbreviations, no?

Cheers

G4ALA

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom: T90A, V80, T70A, Boefeng 3=UV-3R Mark II. Fun. And no one to talk to. Dog?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. AG6KM

AG6KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-60R
    Bendix King EPH - not sure this can get classified as a HT, it's more like a brick

8. NO2A

NO2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TH-F6,TH-75.

9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont. However, in the past I have had multiple. IC-W2A, IC-W32A. IC-T7H, and FT-VX7R.

10. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Yaesu FT-60 and I like it just fine. Can't say I use it that often, though. 2m and 70cm are a wasteland in NYC.

11. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

My first portable was a GE Voice Commander converted to 2-meters. I called it the UNhandie-talkie, or UHT.

[​IMG]

It had an 18" telescoping antenna that is not apparent in this photo. The bottom half was the case for the twin 7.5 volt battery pack. These batteries were normally in parallel for 7.5v to the RCVR, but were switched in series by the PTT for 15v to the XMTR. This thing was about 6"(W) x 10"(H) x 1 1/4"(D). To operate it you had to hold it in both hands and press the big black PTT button with BOTH thumbs. VERY UNHANDY! I don't have this one any more.

Here are the HT's I currently have:

[​IMG]
    Drake TR-22C -- 12 sets of crystals, a fresh set of ni-cads, and I do still use it.

[​IMG]
    Kenwood TH-21AT -- still my favorite HT.
    Sure wish I had the tone board for it.

[​IMG]
    Alinco DJ-180T -- my workhorse
    rugged and reliable, super easy to program

[​IMG]
    Yaesu VX-1R -- my first dual-bander
    It's proven rugged and reliable. The 1/2 Watt output gets through surprisingly well.
    Still, its tiny size feels awkward in my hand and I consider it little more than a toy.

[​IMG]
    Wax-On KG-UVDP-1 -- my cheap way into a dual-bander with power.
    I've used it a few times, but I'm not convinced of it's ruggedness or reliability.
    Super hard to program manually in the field. (I don't attempt it.)
    When I use it, I carry the VX-1R and the DJ-180 as backups.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  12. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3 Kenwood TH-F6-As and two Icom IC-T7Hs

13. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently have a couple of salvaged Motorola HT750 portables for UHF and VHF with a couple of local repeaters programmed into them and the national calling frequencies but rarely use them.
    In the past I have had a HT600 that I once used on top of Mauna Kea at 14000 ft to make a few simplex contacts on 2M from the Big Island to Oahu (nearly 300 miles). It was cold up there.

14. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a VX-7r (black) and have had 7 other HT's, but I stick with the VX-7r probably because it's the most universally unfriendly programming HT I've ever seen! I putzed around with keypad entry for about 3 months and became very good at doing that factory reset, and then I purchased the software and cable: it's a delightful radio now, but I have no interest in messing around with its programming in the field, I just make a note and take it home and change the software and presto--reprogrammed perfectly. I never mess it up in the field. I also like it's look, feel, clarity, sensitivity, and battery life.

73 de N7GH

BTW: Kenwood's TH-F6A is probably the easiest keypad programmable HT, I've ever had!

15. N8NNX

N8NNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just added the Baofeng uv-5r to the shack. It is a nice little (cheap) radio but other than the price, I don't know what the fuss is all about. Yes, you do get a lot for your $65 ( shipped from import communications ) but these chinese cheapo's will never hang with the big boys. ( icom, yaesu, kenwood)

16. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

HTX-420 dual bander. Nice rugged little unit there. Even takes AA batteries.

17. W5DQ

W5DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TH-D7A for Sky Command Remote Control with my TS-2000S/X

Gene W5DQ

18. KJ6VKR

KJ6VKR Ham Member QRZ Page

My first radio is a Quansheng TG-K4AT. A single band, 2 meter / 5 watt hand held and it works great! Only licensed for two days, I've made various contacts with this radio from inside my garage. Out on the patio I am even more impressed with how excellent this HT is working out. Priced very well, I was able to find this on eBay from Hong Kong for only $44.00 (free shipping).

2012-04-07_08-25-07_305.jpg 2012-04-07_08-27-08_715.jpg

19. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

my first HT was 10 watts 2 meter Mobile Radio Kenwood TR-7200G and small Lead Acid battery in bicycle basket. then IC-02AT, did not had HT for more than 10 years, recently got IC-V80

20. KJ6VCN

KJ6VCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm saving up for my first HT (I've been using borrowed equipment since I got my license last month). It's going to be a Yaesu VX-8DR, I've already decided and am 100% sure this is the HT for me.

0008lrg.jpg
    Shiny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.