ad: elecraft

What exactly is a DxPedition?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA7WJR, Oct 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA5GEX

KA5GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw a few complaints on DX holiday-style operations as well. My interpretation of some of those comments was that the complainant felt that the DX operator probably should have worked split rather than simplex.

I have seen instances wherein the DX op is working through contacts as rapidly as possible, but there is chaos because of the simplex operation. Some ops trying to work the DX keep sending their calls ad nauseum rather than once or twice. As a result, everyone else, including the DX op, suffers the consequences.

I have no disdain for casual DX operations. I'm grateful that they went to the trouble of lugging equipment and getting on the air. If a crowd gathers, it would be nice if they would switch to split operation for a while to work through the crowd. If the DX op is interested in chats or conversations, I'll oblige. If he's interested in making rapid-fire contacts, I honor that also.

Bottom line, we're getting the benefit of the DX from the DX op's time, effort, and resources, and we should respect that.

W4POT likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd love to participate in a DXPedition - my life/career won't support it at this time. However, I will someday. You know what I want to do outside of the BIG OPERATION times? I want to just reply to people calling CQ instead of them calling ME. I think that would be a blast!

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

My son had 9N1MM call HIM in one of his pileups as VP2EXX. That will make your day.

WF4W likes this.
  4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

There are Casual DXpeditions and then there are SUPERHERO DXpeditions. Ducie and others like BOVET, HEARD and PETER ONE fall into the later.
    for those, there is a Great deal of Physical Effort and Prowess that apply. It's like the Ultimate Field Day. Anyone who watches the vids of these knows what these team members go thru. The are wrestling around Heavy generators, putting them on Zodiacs and then carrying the ashore. they brave Hurricane force winds, Snowstorm and even Pirate invaders just to get YOU into the log!!!

These People are my ALL TIME HEROS!!! And it is a great financial outlay too. Sometimes the ops have to come up with around 20 Grand or more for the privledge of going!
    Then there are the 5 STAR DXpedtions which are basically Hotels with maids and fine linen and Luxury dining, and a little operating as well as long as they are there!
    If I won the lottery, I still probably couldn't go, as the Physical demands would be well past what I could ever do. I need air conditioning and reasonably good food.
    Also it helps to be a TOP CW CONTESTOR too, to keep the rates up. Ducie is very near 100K QSOs (96K this morning with just past the halfway point)

You can't have a Casual Field Day Operating style on these DXpeditions.

On Field Day, some operators come out for the free burgers and hot dogs and then sit at the radio and make A FEW contacts. A person like that would never be welcome on the SUPERHERO DXpeditions! They are There for ONLY ONE REASON: To get everyone in the world in the log! I could probably do SSB, RTTY and FT-8, but not CW at all! And I am a PAPER LOGGER too. So If I were to apply to come on one of these DXpeditions, they would TELL me FORGET IT!!! No matter How much money I was willing to invest. I still do paper logs on Field Day and later transcribe them into the computer logging program.

So we as Ops really need to take our HAT OFF to these GUYS and GALS who can do these DXpeditions. Think of them as the MARVEL AVENGERS only as Hams!!! Saving the WORLD one QSO at a time!!

AD7DB, WZ7U and AB8MA like this.