What exactly is a DxPedition?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA7WJR, Oct 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7WJR

WA7WJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK...that's a hook....my question is a little deeper.

In the true sense of the concept, I understand a 'DxPedition' to be a reasonably elaborate affair of multiple operators going to a remote or highly sought after location with the intent to make as many contacts as possible and operate virtually around the clock for a set period of time.

But, there are some operators (such as myself) who travel for work or vacation to distant lands or remote locations and carry equipment to work 'vacation style,' or work with no set schedule, or when time permits. Recently while watching some of the comments on DxSummit spots I've noticed that there seems to be some distain for 'holiday' or 'vacation' dx operations.

I have seen people state, they will be operating "holiday style," or "one-man dexpedition," or "vacation dxpedition," etc.

So, the question...is there a need to differentiate between a 'serious' dxpedition, and a single operator dexpedition who is not going to be on the air 24/7 in order to set expectations?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"DX is" ... "DX-pedition is better"

:)

Rare DX - ATNO's - all that. That's the usual definition of a DXpedition.

But if a chap goes to Cancun and sets up on the beach as an XE and calls it a "DXpedition" that's valid too IMO :)

Dave
    W7UUU

AE0Q, AG5DB and WA7WJR like this.
  3. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

No, not necessary at all as the DX community will immediatly recognize (and characterize) the nature of each "operation".

WA7WJR, AE0Q and AG5DB like this.
  4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we are getting into the area of "amateur" vs "professional" ham.

The highly organized expedition utilizing multiple operators being "the professionals".

The professionals may look with scorn upon the "dilettante" expedition, however, it is still a DXpedition none the less.

5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DXpedition is....Whatever you make of it!

K1TGX likes this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BJ, DX is!

IOW, DX-peditions as you know, are organized operations to some remote place where (usually) no one lives or no ham operation occurs. But DX is not relegated to the organized expeditions, hardly that. Most DX is simply some one like your self, in a different country getting on the air just because you are there and want to do it.

Because of your question, it made me wonder how much "casual" DX I have worked vs the "Professional" DX from a "DX-pedition" I would venture to say that I (and its just my opinion) have worked much more casual DX than the other type.

Hams as a group benefit from the professional types going to some remote place to pass out the "Q's" but its the other folks who get on the air, just like you do who are the backbone of the pursuit. So If someone works you while you are at your second site in Vietnam, that is just as good if not better than working an expedition to the same place.

Why do I feel that way? Well, it just this: you get on the air from Vietnam because you enjoy doing it and you're already there. That is the reason why any of us get on the air. Not to hand out QSL cards to the masses, but just to get on and have fun, and make some other ham happy that he had a chance to work you too!

Now that's not to denigrate the DX-peditions. They do it for the same reasons but at a much higher level than the casual operator. But, on reflection I really think that I have worked much more of the casual type DX over the years, especially on ten meters.

So... If the folks on some DX cluster or website seem to be down on the casual operators, they are stupid. Period. Do not pay any attention to them, because they obviously do not get it!

Just like any other avocation, ham radio is what we make of it, not what someone else said it should be. Having looked at your QRZ site, I can see that you "get it"!

Enough said. Don't let the Stupid Alpha-Hotels bug you. Just continue to do what you enjoy. Who knows, maybe we can work you someday from XV9WJR. I know I would like that!

73 Gary...

K9ASE, WA7WJR and WA6MHZ like this.
  7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Father Moran had it right. He got assigned to work in Nepal and he was licensed as 9N1MM. Most of the DXers had him confirmed as he was incredibly active. He also did many DX NETS for the low power hams that couldn't crack a pileup.

so that is what I need to do. I will become an Ordained Priest and request my service on the Island? of SCARBOROUGH REEF!!! WA6MHZ/BS7 might not get many takers for Mass though! Priests have to say one Mass a day, even if it is in private.

On my Work Junket to Taiwan, I visited a Priest near Tapei and he let me operate from his shack. It was on the 5th floor of a downtown building and he had a dipole and an Icom IC-720. I got on 20 and worked a few VKs as WA6MHZ/BV. No Stateside stations were heard. So guess that was a DXpedtion too

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    K9ASE and KB4QAA like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah that's the ticket...become a priest and request an off shore uninhabited assignment.

I told my wife when the Peace Corp started taking retired people we should sign up but only if our assignment was Monaco. We could run a 12 step program for gambling addicts! Never saw any Monaco assignments. But I have seen quite a few in good DXedition countries and islands. But they are all inhabited. Unfortunately whether you are a priest or in the Peace Corp they sort of like you to serve people.

9. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Several years ago I vacationed in St Lucia and took a rig and 40m dipole with me. Only worked about 100 qso's during our stay but that was my Dexpedition :)

WA7WJR likes this.
  10. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't people who live in the DX countries full time work that way as well? When in Rome.....just fire up your equipment and have fun. If an operator has a problem with you not being on the air 24X7 instead of thanking you for taking time out of your vacation to get on the air, that's probably an operator you wouldn't want to talk to anyway. ;)

First and foremost, it's a hobby.

WA7WJR and AG6QR like this.