What does 'on the go' mean to you?

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K8MHZ, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is from a Radio Shack ad I got in my e-mail box about the new Samsung Galaxy Tab.

The red highlight is mine. To me, this ad is suggesting the use of device while driving. What else would you do while 'on the go' that would require the device to be 'operated with a single hand'?

Edit to add:

I found this on a site that had reviews for the device:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

You know you're setting yourself up for a wise-ass answer to that one, Mark, don't you? ;>

I'm thinking that for those people who just can't wait long enough to eat their meal with both hands they can use the unit in one hand while holding a sandwich in the other...while driving.
  3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it would be great for use in those areas which ban the use of amateur radio while driving. :eek:
  4. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not see any particular suggestion about driving.

"On the GO" usually refers to somebody who is moving around a lot, but there is no implicit reference to driving there. - In fact, "on the go" people are usually pictured walking around an office, using public transportation or perhaps riding a bicycle.

On the Go moms are often pictured driving around, usually in a station wagon full of hers and apparently the neighbors' kids. They never show these women with a digital device though... Normally they are looking for something quick and easy to scarf down that won't blow them up like the Goodyear(c) blimp. Some kind of nutritious snack, full of energy, caffeine or whatever.

The main use that women like that have for digital toys is to keep the kids reasonably quiet and anchored down for a while, in one location while they put their feet up for a moment and watch a TV show or something.
  5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

True, Charles, but it's the "can be operated with a single hand" in conjunction with "on the go" that's the red flag. In what instances would you use only one hand to operate the device while "on the go"?

ON EDIT: Okay, I thought of one: If you're standing in a bus or subway you can have one hand holding the stand-pole to steady yourself while holding the device in the other.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a classic example of wireless device usage while "on the go":

7. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I use that phrase to mean busy, as in "on the go all the time". As for operating it one handed - great, the other hand can hold the beer!

Brian G8ADD
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then ya can steer with ur knees...
  9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We are on the train or the bus a lot. I suppose I could use a tab while commuting but I personally have no need or desire to do so.
  10. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

On The Go. Hmm...

Well ... when I'm "on" it, I usually "go". Sometimes I'll "go" on the side of the road, if I can't find a rest stop. So if I can use this thingee while I'm "going", it would be more to do than just reading Playboy, right?

Umm ... did I misunderstand something here? Umm ... I don't "go" while I'm driving. Do you? That would be more distracting than anything. And ... If I steered with my knees while "going" that would certainly be an unholy mess. Did I miss something here? What are we talking about?

BRB ... I gotta go. AAAHHHH! Hey ... someone get the phone, please! I'm a little busy here!!!
  11. KD0AUO

KD0AUO Ham Member QRZ Page

"On the Go" is NOT driving IMO. Not at all. You aren't doing anything when you're driving, you're attempting to get somewhere that will allow you to be "On the Go". Driving time is useless, wasted time. Not "On the Go" time.

I hike. I'd say that while hiking I'm "On the Go". However, that device would die for numerous reasons on a hike. So it's not really fit for my version of "On the Go".
  12. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean you don't have a phone in your 'LIBRARY'?
  13. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

As a general rule a mother with a couple of youngsters is always on the go. She cooks makes beds,vacuums the house, does the shopping, maybe takes the kids to school and does lots of other things. In other words she's always on the go.

Not everybody goes to work in a car, many in cities travel on a train, on buses and trams, have to rush, have half an hour for lunch, have to print 500 copies of a document etc etc, they're on the go all day. Its just a colloquial expression
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.