What does D star do that IRLP dosent?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB1GXM, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KB1GXM

KB1GXM QRZ Member QRZ Page

I guess I am just not that familiar with sending data, cause that is the only difference I see. With D star you can send data and link world wide to other repeaters on the D star system like IRLP.

What kind of data is being sent back and forth? If its similar to RTTY why not just use the internet to send IM's back and forth?

Tell me more about going digital? Are you afraid that digital will turn amature radio into nothing more then a glorified PMR system?

2. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

?
    IRLP is only *partially* an RF path at best.....comparing it to D-Star is comparing apples to unknown fruit.

(if this was a troll post, it hooked me:)

Bill N9DSJ

3. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

D-STAR really shines on the 1.2GHz band. You can get a 128kbps data link using D-STAR on 1.2 gig.

Echolink and IRLP is still analog for the radio part, which has the advantage of being compatible with existing equipment, but is NOT as seamless as D-STAR with the repeater linking capability.

4. N4CYA

N4CYA QRZ MODERATOR Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

From the Icom's Website:
    What is D-STAR?

D-STAR is a new ham radio system which offers digital voice and data communication. It connects repeater sites over microwave links and the Internet and forms a wide area ham radio network. The DSTAR system provides a new capability and functionality to the ham radio world and increases the efficiency of emergency communications.
    What can the D-STAR system do?
    128kbps digital data and 4.8kbps digital voice communication

The D-STAR system provides not only digital voice (DV mode) communication but also digital data transmission (DD mode). It can exchange various data files such as graphics, images, etc, at 128kbps.
    Your voice and data can reach further than ever

Multiple repeater links by radio and the Internet provide long distance communication to virtually anywhere.
    Internet application available

The D-STAR system uses the TCP/IP protocol, so when connected with a PC, web, e-mail and other Internet applications are available.
    Wireless Internet Access

No matter where you travel within the DSTAR network, you can access the web, e-mail, text messages and multimedia messages.
    Independent network

In DD mode, ID-1 can transfer data directly with another ID-1 without the use of a repeater. This is useful for establishing a simple network where a D-STAR repeater does not exist or D-STAR services are not required.
    Increase efficiency of emergency communications

Out in the field, fast emergency information is the key. Send pictures and weather charts to or from a remote location with the ID-1. “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and efficient send/receive opens up your repeater for other emergency communications.
    D-STAR system will be upgraded

The D-STAR system will be enhanced and new D-STAR radios will be released, adding features and performance to the D-STAR system.
    PC remote controller supplied

D-STAR repeater system

The D-STAR repeater is composed of a repeater controller, 1.2GHz digital voice repeater, digital data repeater, 10GHz microwave relay and the Internet gateway PC. For the signal is digital data, no information is lost due to conversion and multiple repeater relays are possible in this system. The D-STAR system repeater can perform 3 relay functions as shown in the following figures.

Single repeater

The D-STAR repeater operates similar to existing analog repeater. That is a simple relay of transmit and receive communication in 1.2GHz band.

Microwave link

When D-STAR repeaters are connected via 10GHz microwave, the D-STAR system transfers a received data to another repeater site. You can also make a CQ call to a specified repeater area.

Internet gateway relay

When D-STAR repeaters are connected with the Internet gateway, the D-STAR system relays the received data over the Internet. Microwave links and Internet gateways can be combined even during one contact. So your message will get through virtually to anywhere in the D-STAR system.

For Information: D-Star

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One big thing that it does, is that it uses a 6 Khz. bandwidth to send voice and data on VHF and UHF, as opposed to a 16 Khz. bandwidth for FM voice. We could squeeze almost three times as many repeaters into the same bandwidth. It's been proposed that DSTAR machines could be set up in between the existing 16 Khz. analog repeater channels.

There have been various studies comparing digital vs. analog signals. Using narrowband receivers, DSTAR's range is pretty comparable to analog FM. But long before the analog signal fades out, it becomes weak and noisy. The digital signal is either there, or it isn't. A very weak digital signal is crystal clear, until it is too weak to copy, when it suddenly breaks off.

Another advantage of digital is that there is no 'replication penalty'. Every time you retransmit an analog signal, more and more noise and distortion creeps in. No so with digital.
    It can be repeated as many times as you want. That's why the telephone company went digital decades ago!

I hope my next VHF/UHF radio has DSTAR capability and a repeater that can use it somewhere around here. It is slowly growing.

6. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But, but, RGR... digital is evil and will ruin ham radio!

[​IMG]

7. N4CYA

N4CYA QRZ MODERATOR Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with K0RGR! It's already popular in Dallas, Alabama, California, Hawaii, Australia, U/K, Florida, Georgia and other places hopefully will go or try out D-Star it's a fun mode to try out when you have the time. I got introduce to it by a fellow ham and got hooked up on it ever since

8. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

You answered your own post with that single statement. I'll let you chew on it for a bit - let us know when you figure it out.

9. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

IRLP relies on the Enternet-

D-Star is independent of the Enternet, but can be tied in if so desired.

IRLP has no previsions that I know of for data-

D-Star has data capabilities "off the shelf"-

D-Star has been confused with "Interweb Voice Protocol", but- it is far from it.

Thats the *short* of it, Google is your friend for the rest, 73-

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So in a city that has a dozen repeaters nobody uses, they could have three dozen repeaters that nobody uses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.