What do you want in an Amateur Organization?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE6JM, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AE6JM

AE6JM Ham Member QRZ Page

If there was an alternative organization that would represent the interests of all amateur radio interests, would you join? What is your interest? What would you want out of such a group?  Personally, I think the best part of ham radio, other than talking to many friends around the world, is the  social opportunities to get together and enjoy the war stories, experiences, and camraderie. I also see the true heroes of our hobby working in the trenches during emergencies and disasters.  I have yet to see one of our "famous" contesters show up in a public service function.  I watched a very hateful saga unfold the past few months, resulting in or Division Director being elected by the board, instead of the 13,000 Division members.I watched how manipulative some groups get, even spending thousands of dollars in order to get their candidate elected.(?)  I saw the apathy of the vast majority of ARRL members exhibited by their lack of interest in change.  I look forward to you comments.

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread will self-destruct in 5 seconds (or 5 posts)..... good luck Jim! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything the ARRL does except the lobbying for WinLink.

4. KC0UWF

KC0UWF Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AE6JM

AE6JM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think WRRL has been effective in getting a "grassroots" movement going.  It would take a membership of about 50,000 to create a viable group able to tackle the most important issues facing us, ie frequency protection, and ham radio growth.   Are there at least an average of 1000 hams from each state that are "disgruntled" with the current structure?
    ARRL members represent less than 25% of licensed (700,000 ?)hams. My Webpage Once again, thanks for everyone's input.  Keep it coming.

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Fix the ARRL. The time when another group could supplant the ARRL is gone.

7. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hard to do when the keep fixing elections from the inside..

8. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Since not all hams are the same, it is impossible for an organization to serve the needs/wants of all hams as some of these hams will have needs/wants that conflict with other hams' needs/wants.

Since you are drawing from the same pool of potential members, there will be the same issues, apathy, antipathy etc as we currently have. Having a new organization will not change it.

Finally, who is going to do all the work of starting and promoting the organization?

9. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree "fix the ARRL" would be the best and most workable solution. But what would that take? The first step would be to get federal grants out of ham radio. That would stop the ARRL from trying to recruit every Tom, Harry, dog, cat, bird and tree branch into ham radio. If there was no monetary reward, they'd give it up and we could return ham radio to those who are interested in it. Then we could dispense with the people who get a ham ticket just to help them in their jobs of emergency management, etc., and have zero interest in ham radio. We could weed out the REACT-type whackers, the cell phone hams, and return ARES to a real organization that doesn't "live for" the next emergency, real or faked.

We could also eliminate the Winlink (turn ham radio into an ISP and commercial email system) group.

We have, unwillingly for most of us, over the past couple of decades, turned ham radio into something that isn't really very recognizable. It is not professional radio, but it is playing one on tv. We have a professional radio license for professional work. We need to put amateur radio back into the hands of the amateur, and let the professionals play in their own sandbox.

One way to do that would be to create a new radio service (something I strongly and seriously advocate) that is "whacker grounds", that is, a place for all the heros to use their radios and play cops and Homeland Security agents, and get away from amateur radio. Seriously, yes, a new Citizens Emergency Radio Service, allocated in the 148-151 mhz band, with tamper proof, certified radios, would be a neat place for the sincere citizen volunteer to go.

But step one is cut out the darned federal money that keeps encouraging non-hams to get a ham ticket so they can volunteer in emergencies.

Can it be done? I doubt it. The ARRK could go back to managing amateur radio, and Homeland Security could manage the CERS (above.)

But how would you get it done?

Ed

10. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Ed, I strongly agree with your post. I was not pleased to learn the ARRL had secured federal grant money in the wake of Katrina. Like the disaster, it seems to have blown over and now we're back to business as usual. Yes, I wrote my then director (now SK) and my vice-director (now director) and only received a reply from the vice-director. I understand now that the director at the time had heath issues, but it was weeks before I learned that.

Actually, I think a lot of what ails ARRL could be fixed by moving HQ to Kansas City or some other central location away from the northeast corridor. About 15 years ago that was actually discussed, but they decided to stay in Newington. I know that I'll probably be finished with the ARRL if they ever move HQ to Washington D.C. like every other special interest group. [​IMG]

The problem any new organization would face is recognition not only by a significant percentage of the licensed radio amateurs, but also by the FCC, NTIA, and, since ARRL is pretty much in charge, IARU, which isn't likely, as well as other national societies.

However, Canada had two competing membership organizations that merged back in the '90s. One was actually the Canada division of the ARRL which was given its independence and the other was home grown. They merged into RAC as I recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.