ad: QSLWorks-1

What can we individually do to help the vibrant growth of Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KI4CFS, Sep 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

w5uaa, you make a very interesting point. If I were in contact with young people and could actually be "recruited" by them into their interests, then maybe they'd be interested in what I was doing. But it would be a casual thing, not something I would set out to do with the intention of recruiting with some goal in mind of increased numbers of licensees or inspiring young people in some aspect of science or engineering that intersects with our hobby. But I have very little opportunity for engaging with youngsters since all my friends are empty nesters, and I'm not in the Scouts or other youth-oriented organizations.

2. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This just popped into my mind... Let’s say it’s a few weeks before a big HF contest, and you’re planning to participate in it. Maybe contact the local VEs and ask if you can come to the next test session and invite any of the test-takers (almost said “testees!”) to come over to your station and help out in the contest. Some of them might have already been exposed to contests and be interested.

Or maybe try the same thing before Field Day, or something your club is doing, or maybe if you’re planning to put up an antenna and want to show the newbies how it’s done.

It might not always work, but you never know. I’m an extrovert at times because I like to make people feel welcome when they arrive at work, especially the new/junior people who aren’t used to working with adults — unless those adults are drill instructors. Gotta break through that wall and get people comfortable with the team, etc.

Anyway, sounds like I’ve got something I need to try. :)

EDIT: Of course, this focuses on people already interested in ham radio and not recruiting from people who know nothing about it. But we’ve all ready plenty of posts about newly licensed hams either getting the cold shoulder, a cold or unwelcoming welcome, or not knowing exactly where to begin, etc.

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
    Helotes, TX

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  3. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Plant the seeds, boys and girls! Scatter more seeds and get some plants growing. Don't waste time scattering seeds on rocks or in the grass but on fertile ground. Some will grow. Says that kind of thing somewhere else.....

4. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio is very personal. Personal in that every ham's interest is different that the person sitting next to them (figuratiely and literally speaking).

If you think that younger people should be enticed, then *you* join a group and/or find some people identified as a group that you believe would be interested ... at least some percentage. For instance, I could care less about anything identified as radio sport, aka contests. Yet runners, hikers, and bicyclists that go some distance and off the beaten track where most of us live might be enticed. That doesn't mean that you need to turn your tired old bones into some sort of an athelete .. unless gently done ... but could at least leverage your interest into what the runnershikersbikers like to talk with them about their interests. Oh Oh Oh you also have this interest involving radio that you wonder how you could use it if you could actually come close to what they do.

Depending how physically able your are, you might try to get them to "adopt" you sotospeak. And you could infect them with your interest.

Point is, something has be a mutual interest

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

... what can you do to promote amateur radio? How about giving it rest for a while. I seriously doubt if you are going to come up with something 'new' and 'exciting' that several people haven't already tried before. Really splurge and get a bumper sticker!

6. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I woudl suggest to read the original poster signature.
    To me that tells the whole story where his motivation is coming from.
    Professional recruiter is not what is needed to revive the dead horse, again, second time around to boot.
    Give it a rest, please.

NN4RH likes this.
  7. KI4CFS

KI4CFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the encouragement. I will still take it on!