ad: Alphaant-1

What are you using now

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by JIMRUBEL, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of my radio software comes from github and can be built in either Windows or Linux--though it is easier with Linux.

2. W4EAE

I would be curious what she does in Office that should could not do in LibreOffice.

It really is kind of funny with my wife. She is not really a 'computer person,' but being 37-years-old, she really isn't of a generation where it is possible to be a luddite. She is completely sold on Linux. When it got to be about June of 2018, she asked me why I had not yet upgraded the computer to Ubuntu 18.04. Apparently, she really never liked the Unity desktop but she never told me that. She had read that it was being abandoned for Gnome 3 in 18.04 and really wanted to update.

3. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

There's nothing that I'm aware of. She just doesn't want to re-learn anything, though its not like she couldn't.

4. GIMONTCHRISTOPHER

GIMONTCHRISTOPHER QRZ Member

Can i try them on Windows computer?

5. W4EAE

It depends. You would have to check the github listings, or simply try and build it in Windows and see if it works.

The reason I say linux is easier is that you don't have all of the graphical stuff in the way or Microsoft's clunky command line.

6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

While a lot of the ham software developers use GitHub to store their source code, there is usually a install program for available Windows. The Windows installs, however, my be on a different web site. I have built a lot of software for Unix/Linux platforms, but building is seldom needed on Windows.

Many users put Linux on their PC and then host Windows using something like Wine. I do it the other way around. I have Windows 10 on my PCs and run software that needs a Unix/Linux platform in Cygwin. Right now I'm running some Verilog simulations. The simulator runs in Cygwin, but the waveform display runs under Windows. This make things easy because, Windows can see all the file systems under Cygwin.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a Unix/Linux hater. I worked 16 to 24 hours a day for about 25 years as a Unix System Administrator on a network of ?? hundred machines. But, after being immersed in Unix/Linux for that long, you eventually get tired of it and want something a bit simpler.

7. W4EAE

I may change my mind someday, but for as long as I can remember I have preferred a terminal over gui for anything that needs to be precise. Having to click in various places to pull up settings and submenus is just more clunky to me than simply typing exactly what I want to do into the terminal. It is nearly always the shorter path to what I want to accomplish.

But even with that--as I mentioned before--my wife loves Ubuntu (Debain) and never touches the terminal.

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was really just pointing out to "GIMONTCHRISTOPHER" that Windows apps usually do not need building. There is usually a install program available that takes care of everything.

But Yup. To each, his own OS. And, how they work in that OS. When your only taking care of a few Unix/Linux machines, things are pretty simple. But when your dealing with hundreds of machines on a daily basis, it gets a little old.

Well, really, dealing with the users is what got old. :rolleyes:

9. W4EAE

Amen. Amen. Amen.

10. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using Linux for about 20 years as a hobbyist and professionally (RHEL and Debian), and would ideally like a brain-wave interface (no surgery though, thank you). Then something like the holograph stuff Tom Cruz used in "Minority Report". Then I'd pick a well-designed 2-D GUI. Only last would I pick a terminal, unless there was no well-designed GUI for it. Some of the tedious stuff I regularly do in the terminal I've built into Python scripts, etc. so it's basically a single executable, or even a desktop icon that I can merely click.

At some point, over-reliance on a terminal means you've not automated or abstracted sufficiently to reduce your typing. That said, I am quite handy around the terminal, and there's not a single Winders PC in my shack or office at work. The sheer beauty of Linux is that the terminal is there for you, if you're doing pre-automated tasks, ad-hoc commands, etc. Or you can pipe stuff together, bundle them into a bashrc or Python script, or turn into a desktop launcher. It's entirely your choice.

I'd never go back to Winders. The tools for automating Linux at whatever level you desire are there. So I'd pick whatever option needs the least typing, and automate what I do repeatedly.

73, KD0KZE / Paul