What are you using now

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by JIMRUBEL, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is because many of us gave it up when we found out is was a big joke.

2. HERPSIN

HERPSIN QRZ Member

I use Windows 10 and Linux

3. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Windows 10, CentOS (servers), and Fedora. Occasionally Ubuntu.

4. EZREAL15

EZREAL15 QRZ Member

Using top1apk.com to get the coolest games as well as app for android smartphones

5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using Windows 10 and it works flawlessly.
    John
    K4AGO

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I also am an MCSE and have not had any trouble with any windows version since Windows 2000. I also use Red Hat Linux on several machines.
    John
    K4AGO

7. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Windows 10

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just looked and Microsoft does have the MCSE certifications.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/certification-overview.aspx

They don't have the MSCE any more. There's now "Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert", MCSE. There was the "Microsoft Certified Engineer", MSCE. Microsoft got into a bit of trouble with some state governments that didn't take kindly to people claiming to be certified engineers. I was living in Texas when some of this was going on and I remember seeing the Texas laws on this. In Texas a person can only call themselves an "engineer" if they either, have an engineering degree from an accredited university and passed the professional engineers exam or, drive a train. Another legal battle on who can call themselves an engineer came to court a year or three ago. People can legally call themselves an engineer if they practice engineering, but it's still likely illegal to call yourself a "certified engineer" or "professional engineer" unless you received this certification from the state.

Anyway, back to the original question...

Right now I'm typing this on an old HP server turned into an Ubuntu desktop computer. Also in my basement office/laboratory/shack are computers running Windows XP, VMWare ESXi, Windows 10, and macOS X. The original plan with my salvaged computer running ESXi was to install a number of virtual machines to test different things out. What happened is that I got as far as getting a video card and USB card passed through to a Windows 8 virtual machine and I just use that for a lot of web surfing. I found out that it will take a lot more drive space and time than I have now to do what I want with this computer. I'll get more of both sometime.

The XP computer is to run some old games and other programs needing little computing power. My macOS computer is where I keep my music and photos, and do my e-mail. The Windows 10 computer doesn't get used often, I don't much like Windows 10.

Upstairs is my newest laptop, an Apple running macOS X but with VMWare Fusion virtual machines running Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

It might sound like I spent a lot of money on computers but I didn't. Much of my hardware was pulled from trash bins, where I'd clean them up, swap out some parts, and put into use in my basement. It's amazing what people will throw away.

9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm running a new 16 core Win 7 machine, custom built to run multiple SDR Receiver. I posed it up in the SDR forum.

10. AB4CC

AB4CC Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10, Win 7, Android Tablet and phones. Raspberian, and a couple of other flavors on Linux