What are you using now

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by JIMRUBEL, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably true, but I never really used DR_DOS except for some hard drive setups. MS-DOS 6.22 wasn't bad in its time, but I found I could recover more usable memory manually than using "MemMaker," a part of DOS 6.22

K4AGO likes this.
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Windows 7 on 2 computers and Windows 10 on 2 computers I find that both Windows 7 and windows 10 work very well with Ham Radio Deluxe, WSJT x , and FLDIGI. I have no problems using win 7 or win 10.

3. K4AGO

Win 10 is very good. I have had no problems with win 10.

4. K4AGO

Deleted

5. K4AGO

There are no MCSE's Microsoft did away with the MCSE certification after Windows 2000. I was a Win2K MCSE

6. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Any Dell PC (prefer Optiplex series) or laptop (Latitude) I have here will take the "corporate" Win Xp SP3 DVD (or is it a CD? Whichever) I have in my "library" and load that OS without crying about MS validation or authentication (registering is forgone w/the corp install disc) ... a quick trip to the Dell site and the most up-to-date drivers can be found after I look up the Dell "service number" on the back of the PC or bottom of the laptop.

HARD to break this routine or habit ...

7. W4AUE

W4AUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Mostly Win 7 Pro, Linux, & Android

8. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Win10 Pro on my station computer; HP Z820 Workstation with a pair of E5-2697 v2 Xeon CPU's, 256Gb EEC RAM, 1Tb SSD for OS, 12Tb HDD storage, nVidia Titan XP GPU. New SSD drive with a clean install on Win10Pro and have not had any problems whatsoever, including updates. Desktop is displayed after startup in 5 seconds. OS telemetry is properly defeated. The computer has yet to crash on any software I use, including both versions of Flex software. I suspect the excess of computer resources allow for multi-tasking to happen in the machine without issues or conflicts. I do set affinity manually on running software and never let any one piece of software to use all the threads, for instance. I also tend to keep all programs on the SSD OS drive, and use the HDD storage for downloads, data files and zip files (like installers).

Considering all the exploits out there for older OS'es (which cannot be avoided at this point, especially in XP) using Win10 Pro seemed to be the prudent choice. Also using Win10 Pro allows me to leverage the most up-to-date hardware drivers and software versions, improving overall performance and stability; due to newer feature sets only available in Win10.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I upgraded my Linux Mint on the main laptop from 18.1 to 18.3. First time I have done an upgrade rather than a fresh install. It was completely uneventful. Now I have 18.3 on my two Mint machines. The laptop upgrade did not break my dual boot with Windows 10 on the laptop. Now I'm good until 2021 at least. With 18.3, It is possible to upgrade to Mint 19 when the time comes, using the same process.

Ted, KX4OM

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever Jake from State Farm is using.