What are you OFs doing to get more yutes enlisted?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KL7AJ, Dec 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9YTJ

KC9YTJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Trying very hard here with some other Scouter Hams to put together a Venturing crew to operate the station we already have at one of the Scout camps. Unfortunately, Council support has been only lukewarm to actively hostile, even though they wanted the station in the first place. We're hoping that a recent personnel change may alter things for the better.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave up trying years ago.

Our club tried getting schools in the area interested, no luck. My daughter got her tech at age 10. None of her friends or classmates were interested at all. We even were given room at a school to have our classes and promoted the classes at the school. My students were all adults.

So what are we doing wrong?

First, we must realize that kids have much more entertaining things to do now. If we want to get kids interested, we have to make it interesting.

We may have to change, or accept the fact that ham radio is now a 'mature' craft.

The changes we need may just be in the way we appear. As a 'for instance', let's discuss two types of karate. AKS and UKS. AKS rules are that students can only have certain things on their karate uniforms. A US flag, an AKS patch and MAYBE the student's name on the back. That's it, the focus is to be on the student, not the uniform.

A few years ago I was talking to a UKS instructor (UKS was formed by AKS black belts over politics) and she told me that one of the things she liked about UKS was that UKS allowed for 'flash' on the uniforms. When the kids get promoted they get their names embroidered on their belts. They get to wear all kinds of flashy dragon type patches. Each promotion gets them more 'flash' to put on their uniforms, just the opposite of AKS.

The UKS instructor told me that she didn't care if the kids wore pink flamingos on their uniforms so long as it kept them off the street and in class. I think her class is 90 percent kids. It's cool to see them at tournaments wearing their uniforms.

The point I am trying to make is, if we really want to get kids to like ham radio, we may have to make some changes. Maybe we need more 'flash'. Now, I really don't know what kind of radios kids would consider 'flashy' so I am at a loss, thus the reason for my giving up my quest to get kids interested in radio.

For those still at it, you are going to have to find a way to make radio 'cool' and do so in the shadow of every new telephone and tablet computer that comes out.

Good luck.

W3IG likes this.
  3. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I must admit that I am not doing anything to get kids into radio.

AF7XT likes this.
  4. W3IG

W3IG Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new ham myself (in my late 30s) I started contemplating the utility of ham radios, particularly the uhf/vhf baofengs that so many start on. As I started learning to use repeaters I got to thinking, man it would be cool to be able to link these repeaters, and use digital coding for privacy, and I want my HT to have a nice color touch screen display that I can play games on. Then I realized I already had exactly that. Its called a smartphone. When I was a kid (before there were cellphones) one of the coolest toys to have was a set of walkytalkies but even those are antiques to kids today with the internet.

I think K8MHZ is correct about finding the flash. Except that I think to do that amateur radio needs to find a way to assimilate with what's happening today more then clinging to 30 years ago. Literally, I want my smartphone to also do ham radio, and I don't mean over the internet with an app. I do want to play games on a 6"+ retinal super-amoled display using the vhf connection to my opponent. Etc. Etc.

You know what brought me to ham radio? FPV RC aircraft that are all the rage these days. Embrace it because it has the flash amateur radio should be looking for.

AC0GT likes this.
  5. W4BUE

W4BUE Subscriber QRZ Page

VISIT K4AMG.org to see what we are doing for youth in amateur radio.

Rich
    W4BUE
    Founder K4AMG MARC Inc.

6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen is proof of that. (I am digressing forward).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. KC3EWK

KC3EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. People try to get young guys (like me) into this whole 75/80 meter typical conversation where a person is keying down for 15 minutes at a time yakking on and on and on and on about what amounts to inane small talk. That is not cool. It is actually (cough) really boring! I'm not so sure that all these people have the brain capacity that they claim, as they don't know that when you are done with transmitting your (hopefully interesting and enlightening) information, you let go of the button. Not saying that there aren't techy guys out there! Quite the contrary! Many of the ham radio operators are really enthused about electronics, software, cool hobbies, etc. etc. What these people need to be pushing is the stuff that you cant do with an Iphone. Aprs payloads, longer distance (ie. more reliable) fpv, rc, satellite, space station, Sdr, digital modes that have a purpose other than small talk or contesting (not everybody is into contesting btw), reliability beyond cell towers, hf robust packet sounds cool. Cw is a thing, was a thing and probably will remain for a while, but who wants to use a mode that tops out well below 100 wpm? You guys are missing the point. This is not alternative iphone, this is something that you cant do with 5/ 2.5 ghz, cell towers, 4g internet. Don't try to act like there isnt such thing as the internet. Besides, what normal person spends thousands of dollars on expensive electronics so that they can do small talk with a guy three states away on 160m and call it exhilarating DX. If this sounds overly scathing, my apologies.
    Zach

9. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps My way of getting kids and adults interested by showing them at vintage car rallys is not so bad. By having a radio station on a scale vehicle (and on my police motorcycle) that all kids love to come and look at or drive, and they get a look at something that's new to them ham radio!!
    But when ever you get the chance to teach any of your skills to someone it should never be wasted. Not by being over bearing or saying "this is what you ought to do" but by showing them in a clear and informative way what can be done, and that they also could become a radio ham or whatever the subject is, by giving them an interesting introduction to a new subject.

Something many school teachers lack is the ability to motivate and make it interesting, or even fun to learn..

It's called motivation, and regardless of their age, if you can communicate a skill to someone else, and help them become a better person then you are also becoming a better person.

So instead of the excuse of I don't have time, or they don't care anyway, or all the other negatives, look at a positive thing that you could do.
    I used to belong to one of the best radio clubs in the UK GB3BP (before moving to france) and we gave lectures and talks as well as having a hot iron on standby for any one to get help building a project.. Some of our best students were young girls, who often got to win awards with their work. and new comers of all ages, have always been welcome. Many a time the elderly new to the hobby have not only become new radio hams but brought their friendly management skills to the club and become President in a matter of a year or so..
    Sadly not all areas have the same mentality, and here in France I have yet to find a club with the same positive feel about it...but i live in hope and when I move to my next home, I will do my best to spread my skills and provide help to those that i can get interested in one of my hobbies...
    It's up to us to pass on our skills and learning to others.

It's a sad fact that when we are young we are full of energy but no skills, then as we go through life, most of us have learnt, some times the hard way, lessons that only life can teach. but we are better for it !! if we survived then we know how to survive. WE learn new things and skills that are no longer taught today. Then we go senile and die and all that learning and information is lost forever...
    Take the time to pass on some of your skills if you can and make this world a better place..you will feel better for it . that's my thoughts on the matter as a 64 year old fart !!!

MI0YLT likes this.
  10. N1KTJ

N1KTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

if there was a BLUETOOTH to HF radio interface with audio and CAT combined, using the smart phone as a controller and microphone-speaker. Bet the kids would love that. Something cheap though so that any old HF can be set up like this. Just set the security on the BT connection.

Am continually shocked that more OF don't bring a hand full of apps to YUTES that do SWL, and REMOTE HAM HF use, and listening to HOSELINE (DMR).