What are you OFs doing to get more yutes enlisted?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KL7AJ, Dec 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been pretty proactive on exposing some kiddos to ham radio this year. Just had a prospective YL assemble the new Heathkit AM radio, along with another apprentice in my shop. Also resurrected an antique shortwave radio which they thought was pretty cool. Kids actually like glowing things.

How many other OFs are connected with yutes on here?

MI0YLT and KX4HW like this.
  2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm... one of my MANY new years resolutions - hook up with yute or OF , equal opportunity here , who is interested in ham radio.
    Selfish reason - in past almost 10 years in this area of social activities masquerading as ham radio activities I have not found ONE soul with similar interest ( in ham radio) as mine.
    I suppose I should dust of my CB rig.
    73 Shirley ..._._ ..

3. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

If they come to this website...they're mostly scrutinized and insulted before being shamed. That's the bad thing about this site.
    Thank goodness for those who are supportive. Those of you who post in defense-you know who you are and are appreciated.
    I myself try to encourage and offer advice through personal email at any time. My "door" is open.

AC0GT, K8PG, N2EY and 6 others like this.
  4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately such behavior is common, and bullies will be bullies and you cannot change that. They are naturally immune to anything associated with human conduct.
    Darwin was wrong! Humans are not socially evolving, they are actually digressing back, thanks to Al Gore.

The worst part is - they cannot read , so you cannot communicate with them.

Off my soapbox.
    Shirley

WK9U likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Introduce them to the *redacted* Church. If they can get along there then amateur radio should be a piece of cake.

AF7XT likes this.
  6. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

one is mentoring them and the other is I donated some equipment to some newbies.....as long as they don't act inappropriate or make snide comments....no problems...then again, I don't consider myself an OF either...nor a punk.

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a yute helping me yesterday after our snow/ice storm. We took a rifle out of the gun safe because the yute saw what he thought was yote crossing the ice on one of my fish ponds.

As he readied for a shot by looking through the rifle scope, the yute saw that the yote was actually a fox. So the yute didn't get to shoot a yote.

They can sometimes be difficult to differentiate at a distance of over 100 yards.

Yote (coyote)
    [​IMG]

Fox
    [​IMG]

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably too much ice on the water for the yute to shoot the yote if he was on a yaht.

9. K7BPA

K7BPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, today I'm taking my 8 year old yute son for his tech test at 7 pm. He's my 3rd kid getting his ticket as a yute. His sister got her general at 9 years old. And I'm definitely an OF at 50. BTW, he played his last basketball game this season making 8 out of 34 points. More to life than radio for the yutes. Get them doing something, anything.

10. K7BPA

K7BPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Update - passed 1st time around.

AJ4GQ and N1VAU like this.