ad: dxeng

What antenna(s) do you use for HF QRP portable operation?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA0HVE, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KA0HVE

KA0HVE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm getting ready for HF QRP portable operation. For antennas I'm thinking of a W3EDP and/or a long (not random) wire. For a portable tower I'm considering a push-up fiberglass mast maybe as tall as 50'.

What do you folks use for this type of operation?

2. ND1W

ND1W Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a 4 band dipole out of multi conductor ribbon type wire. Suspended either vertically, horizontally, or somewhere in between depending on available vegetation it works great!

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a KX-1 as my portable QRP rig with the auto tuner. They suggest a 24-28 foot long wire antenna for the bands I want to be on, with a counterpoise of 16' for 40m. I use masons twine for the support rope. To get the antenna 'up there', I simply use a 1/2 filled water bottle. I use an underhand "swing the bottle around" that gets it up there pretty high. Using 1-2 watts I've worked into Europe and all over the US.

4. KA0HVE

My problem is that we built our house in the middle of a hay field a few years ago and I have no trees tall enough to use. I'm in a good spot as far as elevation of surrounding land and there are not really any issues with having my line-of-sight blocked for several miles. I can use the fiberglass tower for setting up my home station as well as using it while working portable if there are not natural supports available.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. KB2FCV

Ah, that complicates things a bit, but I remember seeing a nifty video some years back of a guy who had some sort of lightweight fiberglass collapsable mast. They used a center fed inverted V dipole. The dipole was a sloper as it also made up two of the three guy lines (it used insulators and ropes to go the rest of the way). The third guy line was a piece of rope. The mast had a simple base that steaked into the ground. One person was able to set the thing up in just a few minutes. and just pull it up by the third rope guyline. I wish I knew where the link was or where I saw it but I think you get the idea. No trees required.

Edit: The fiberglass poles I'm thinking about are something like the Jacktite poles (telescopic), not the military surplus ones.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. KA0HVE

7. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out http://www.sotabeams.co.uk - Richard G3CWI has got some great videos on there showing how to set up HF antennas with fibreglass poles. This is the way I've always done it when there are no trees around. I tend to use a wire as an end fed inverted V, with a set of counterpoise wire on the ground where I'm sitting with the rig. Direct links to a couple of the videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RI6IRgQLokk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79hwZOf_hOI

8. G7DIE

G7DIE Ham Member QRZ Page

I use many, a miracle whip, home brew centre loaded antennas, a Buddipole, through to 1/4WL wire verticals from 10 through 40m supported on various length fibreglass fishing poles.

9. KB2FCV

That is the video I was thinking of from my earlier post!

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a rolled up "Shorty-Forty" I got from the inventor, W0SVM. (I think he's now a silent key). Great antenna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.