WHAT??? ANOTHER SB-220????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine
    My Mistake :cool:

2. AF6LJ

I stand by my opinion that this project is a waste of time.
    I will continue to help you but I feel this isn't worth it, especially when the party will most likely turn around and sell it...

3. AF6LJ

In regards to your choice of diodes.
    For the meters use 1N4001s or higher breakdown voltage....

As for the diode board, you need the higher current diodes especially if you go with caps larger than 200MF @ 450V.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

OK the quick disconnect for the front panel is wired.
    20170801_095729.jpg
    and the DIode board wiring. 3 wires will be wired to the chassis
    20170801_095002.jpg
    the diode board is temporary until the new W7RY diode board comes in.
    I need to wait to be sure the XRMR and TUBES are good before I go crazy with upgrades.

Now I need to install the 120VPS Board back in the chassis now that the JB WELD has dried

5. WA6MHZ

I'm not too happy about him just selling it. Wish I could get some of the profit. Each CAT RANCH ELECTRONICS project is like a work of art!!
    That is why my OIL PAINTING COLLECTION is NOT FOR SALE!!! Each one is a ONE OF A KIND.

This already is a one of kind, with the front panel quick disconnect. Anyone who has worked on a SB-220 would greatly appreciate the Quick Disconnect. I know on the SB-226 I sure did as I had to remove the front panel multiple times, and each time it was SO EASY because of that quick disconnect.

In Engineering, the designers often don't consider that the thing might be have to be taken apart to work on and they design it to be fully built. With this system, the panel can be laid aside with a service loop for doing things like adjusting the INPUT COILS. WITH the CAT RANCH system, it is 4 screws, 3 knobs and the panel is off! The meters and switches and controls are fully functional while the panel is swung away.

One thing I also add is nuts with star washers built into them. That way the star washers aren't lost when trying to put the panel back on.

I just love projects like this, but it would be tiresome to do it for a living!

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. WA6MHZ

Here at the Radio Hospital, time is all I have to waste!! It's either work on things like this or just sit here and SURF QRZed or FACEBOOK. I have no company work to do, yet I am here almost 24/7! So it is fun to have a project to work on.
    I need to bring my PAINTS in here and start doing some more Oil Painting.
    Here is the painting I did for the SANTEE/LAKESIDE ELKS LODGE. The proudly display it on the wall next to the cooler behind the bar. They are truly grateful for this NEAR-REMBRANDT
    20170715_173246.jpg
    If a firestorm threatens the big old house, I need to retrieve my art gallery on the wall. ALL are PRICELESS and of MONA LISA CALIBRE!!!

7. AF6LJ

Good work..
    My eyes are not working too good today...
    I overlooked the series resistor to the meter (stupid me)...
    HL-2200 progress posting later today....

8. AF6LJ

I am going to make the wiring harness to the front panel long enough on the HL-2200 to set the panel next to the amplifier while adjusting the input coils.
    Six of one, half dozen of the other I suppose.

9. AF6LJ

:)
    Lets hope that never happens.
    I understand about the time....

I enjoy having a few times with nothing to do, gives me time to get in touch with my inner self.

10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pat,

You never exaggerate at do you?

Or maybe just a little bit?