WHAT??? ANOTHER SB-220????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Lou, wonder if you ever have clowns who take your amps, blow them up and then Claim they never worked??

2. W7UDI

W7UDI Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat,

My guess is that this person had the Band Switch in the wrong position. And that may have caused the flashover. Oh you mean a SB200 does not have automatic band switching? Go figure?

Steve
    W7UDI

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes of course, not so much blowing them up but rather claiming it doesn't go into transmit. Come to find out they didn't know they had to provide a keying line. Generally speaking many hams don't know how to properly read a multi meter with various scales. They don't know basic amplifier terminology. I could write a book.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is he grossly miss tuned it by cranking the knobs as fast as possible with to much drive applied..

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes sense. If the amplifier and exciter aren't set to the same band, no drive will reach the tubes.

6. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ever hear the story about the guy who bought a 2 meter radio and returned it the next day?
    His complaint: the box says 2 meters but there is only one meter in the radio.

(true story)

KA0HCP, WA6MHZ, KJ4NOO and 1 other person like this.
  7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

the SB-200 is back on the HRO consignment table for $400. Looking for a new home.
    This time when I brought it into the store, we hooked it up to a Dummy load and drove it with an IC-7300 to 600W again. So that proved to the store it worked just fine and that the CLOWN who bought it hasn't a clue how to operate it!!!

K2XT and KA0HCP like this.
  8. KK6RPX

KK6RPX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have looked but can't seem to find this trick. I have an SB-200 with a stuck chassis.

Thanks!

N2SR likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

On my SB-220, I just use the method described in the manual, using a book underneath the rear panel:
    [​IMG]
    (click for bigly image)

The SB-200 is assembled differently. It just slides in/out of the cabinet, like the SB-xxx receivers/transmitters/transceivers.

10. KK6RPX

KK6RPX Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried that. It is stuck pretty good.