What am I not understanding about propagation...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VE3BXG, Sep 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

... or is there just an element of it that is truly mysterious?

I was thinking about this today because it has been a relatively good day for DX even though SFI is rock bottom at 66, much the same as it has been (give or take a point or two) for the past few months.

I am on the air regularly and most days over the past few months have been dismal from a DX perspective. But today, in the space of about an hour I had 11 DX CW contacts -- in France, Germany, Russia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary and Tokelau Islands, from my station in east-central Canada.

My station is modest - 200 watts to a hexbeam up 14 meters. So what is going on? Why, on a day when the numbers say that radio should be as lousy as usual, have things been significantly better?

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course there are mysteries...that's why I'm still studying the stuff after 45+ years. If there were no surprises, I probably wouldn't be in the hobby!
    I had the word's best case of "beginner's luck" when I was a Novice in southern california in 1972. I had a couple of ARC 5 receivers, and a Johnson Adventurer that put out 40 watts on a good day, and a dipole just above roof level. I worked the world with that rig. Now, here in interior Alaska, I have all hardware any ham could want, and cant' get out of my back yard most days. (Interior Alaska is in the Auroral Oval zone, which is the Bermuda Triangle of RF, so I wouldn't use my experience here as a measure of anything)

I wrote a QST article a few years back "Don't blame the sun" which explores all the things that affect radio propagation BESIDES solar indices.

Enjoy!

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's propagation....and no one understands it! You may have others who think they have it all figured out...but trust me....they don't.

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MARK,

CHECK THIS OUT........

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY HAM RADIO.

73 - K1LKP

Attached Files:

YF8RQN likes this.
  5. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is always propagation, from somewhere to somewhere else. But it keeps changing, due to many factors. Some factors we understand, some we think we understand, and some we don't. Time of day, band, direction, latitude, distance, sunspots, whatever. Propagation comes and goes. The key to success is to adapt.

W9CQG and KA0HCP like this.
  6. KL7AJ

That's true in MOST places, but here in interior Alaska under the Auroral Oval, we do have extended, complete radio blackouts. The ionograms from the local digisondes are often ABSOLUTELY BLANK..

7. KL7AJ

8. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my sayings......

Whenever propagation is involved, anything can happen.

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you are right. And I should have remembered high-latitude phenomenon from my days studying radio blackouts due to high altitude nuclear explosions ...

10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with the fella who said that NOBODY understands propagation fully. IIRC there was quite a spike in the K index around 27/28 September, so I'm GUESSING that that extra bit of solar activity had something to do with the prop.

W4IOA likes this.