What About AO-85?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KC2YBD, Feb 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS Subscriber QRZ Page

http:\\www.work-sat.com does not list SCORES of birds.

The site's stated intent is to get hams working an easy sat or two for their very first contacts.

SO-50, AO-91, and AO-92 are the easiest right now

,... The owner of that site has had trouble working AO-85 and thus doesn't list it as workable ...

I can work '85 any time I desire ... give me a decent elevation pass and my Arrow, and I will work it. But it is NOT in my "top three easiest" birds to work.

And a look at http://www.amsat.org/status/ verifies that more consistent positive results are being achieved on '50, '91, and '92.

Think independently and do your own research ... that is how has should treat each other. We don't need blind parrots - we need educators.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018 at 7:51 AM
  2. K6LCS

It's AMSAT ...specifically AMSAT-NA.

And to quote a friend of yours, "But for starting out right now, AO-91 and AO-92 are probably an easier starting point than AO-85. " Which confirms that http:\\www.work-sat.com still maintains a reputation for getting folks on the "easier" birds.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018 at 8:23 AM
  3. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Relax, Clint. Geez!!!
  4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

The "friend of yours" you referenced is me, from an earlier post in this thread.

I'll even go one step further, saying that AO-91 is really *THE* "Easy Sat" - even easier than AO-51 in its prime. The strong 2m downlink makes AO-91 (and the other Fox-1 satellites) easier to hear than anything we have had in the past decade or so with 70cm downlinks. AO-91 has been in orbit about 4 months, and its passes in daytime are still as busy now as they were in November. This was certainly the case over the past weekend, when I was at the University of Arizona for a science fair. The "new car smell" must be strong with this one. Crowds heard stations from Mexico and Central America, all over the continental USA, and into Canada over the two days. When the crowds saw 3D-printed models of CubeSats like AO-91:

they were impressed even more.
    NP4JV, W5PFG and KA2CZU like this.
  5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Educators are good. Not just people wrapping themselves in the cloak of an educator, but only interested in getting clicks on a web site - like someone who went around the Internet recently trumpeting 500,000 visits to a web site. Sound familiar?

A good educator strives to distribute accurate information. You aren't doing that. Otherwise, you would have removed the old AMSAT document from 2014 about the Fox satellites from your web site and offered a link to the updated document, once AMSAT and satellite operators determined the AO-85 uplink wasn't going to work at 435.180 MHz back in 2015. The updated document on the AMSAT web site's Station and Operating Hints web page has the same advice - good advice - related to working these satellites, but does not perpetuate the pre-launch frequencies for AO-85 as you do. Yes, you have put disclaimers all over the web page and in the document, yet you are persisting in the distribution of bad frequency information. It has been almost 2 1/2 years since AO-85 was launched, and questions still pop up about which frequency should be used for the uplink on that satellite. You are not helping to eliminate this issue.

Before you roll out the apparent fact you may be an ARRL registered instructor, how many Technician license classes have you taught? ARRL's certification for instructors relates to licensing classes. Fill out an online form, answer the questions to ARRL's satisfaction, and you gain the certification.
  6. K6LCS

Gawd, where to begin ...

>> ... recently trumpeting 500,000 visits to a web site. Sound familiar?

Sure does. A proud achievement.

>> ... A good educator strives to distribute accurate information. You aren't doing that. Otherwise, you would have removed the old AMSAT document ...

Using YOUR logic, we need to remove most old copies of QST magazine from existence, and literally millions of book/magazine titles, because, well, time changes things. That is YOUR logic ... ridiculous at best. But, actually, dangerous thinking, IMHO.

Gotta destroy AMSAT-NA’s 2006 Symposium Papers, too - ‘cause my “Work the Says” tutorial was published there.

>> ... the apparent fact you may be an ARRL registered instructor ...

So you want to delete millions of reference works because they have become outdated, and now you want to change the operating rules of the ARRL. And you call ME arrogant?

ARISS, NASA, and the ARRL and my ARRL section manager were responsible for honoring me with that certification - originally issued in 2012 as I orchestrated an ARISS contact project for my community.(*) Another fact that you should catalog. You insult them all by challenging their decision-making processes.

That's it for this morning. Getting ready for presentation number 96 in Surrey BC Thursday evening. Well have the author of GoSatWatch in attendance, as well as other VIPs.

And - IMHO - "VIP" is defined as just about anyone interested in the hobby, whether licensed or not - so dont go, "Clint's elitist" on us ...

(*) - I hope you aren't going to demand that I return to NASA a glorious 16x20" photograph of the ISS that NASA reps inscribed and awarded to me, too, are you???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018 at 7:29 PM
  7. W5SAT

That cert was issued today.

Don't tell us that you got that after Patrick made the comments about what is involved with getting the certification.

Maybe get your extra class license. Then you could instruct all classes of amateurs.
    K6LCS likes this.
  8. K6LCS

Originally issued in 2012, as stated. Just am not home to take a photo of the original.

EWK and a couple of his friends are responsible for the withdrawal of a $25K endowment that had been in my will earmarked to AMSAT-NA for years. One would think he’d tuck his tail ‘ tween his legs and ignore K6LCS ... strange behavior in anyone’s book ...
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018 at 7:41 PM
  9. W5SAT

Gotcha. You must have instructed a lot classes since then.
    NP4JV and WD9EWK like this.
  10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't I ever hear you on any of the satellites? I regularly work stations in CA but have never heard you.
    NP4JV, WD9EWK and W5SAT like this.