ad: chuckmartin

What 10 Meter/ HF Antenna Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KD8SWT, Jul 2, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you describe what you mean by "with No radial kit attached, and a couple of ground wires"?

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

The A99 antenna has an optional radial kit that I don't use. I have tried the antenna with it attached and without.

I have the mast pipe grounded and there are a few random length ground radials on/in the ground from when I used to have a
    different ground mounted multi band vertical in the back yard. I do not have a real ground radial setup, as is suggested for a more optimal vertical pattern.

Below is a drawing of the ground plane kit that is sold separately for use with the A99 antenna.

I have tried both the A99 and its "Big Brother" the Imax 2000, with and without the added Ground Plane Kits,
    and for my use did not see any advantage to using them.

Your results may vary.

[​IMG]

My opinion is my own, and is tempered by my experiences of using the 2 mentioned antennas in over 20 years, both for 11 meters and for the last 10 years for Amateur Radio.

I have not been on 10m as often as some other bands, as you can see from a screen shot of my DXCC, I have more contacts on 15, 17 and 20 meters,
    but my recent use for 10 and 12 has not been as much, partly due to chasing DXCC on other bands too. :)

upload_2017-4-23_21-59-34.png

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a 40 meter dipole. (That way I have some meters to spare!!! I hate to run out of meters, LOL)
    And an LDG Pro II
    John, WB0MPB

4. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right now (when I actually go to the 10m band) I just use a multi band windom up 30ft. It is not a great option for 10m at all. At some point in the future I'll probably get a vertical up for 10m.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

MOST local action on 10m uses vertical polarization. At that distance, polarization can make a yuuuge difference. When I'm working a local on 10m, I see about 20 dB difference between my yagi and vertical. :)

KI4ODO likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

This will not go down well with a lot of people, but for 10M, the Solarcon IMAX-2000 is very good. And with a tuner, you can convince it to play on 12/15/17M as a bonus.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I'm on my third week with a 6BTV. All limitations and compromises considered (ground mounted/no radials), I don't regret the purchase.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

At first, to work the locals, I mounted my Cushcraft AR10 λ/2 vertical on a mast at 20' AGL. When I erected my 72' tower, I moved it to the mast above my big yagi. At 83' AGL, it still works the locals but now also works DX. :)

9. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a four element Beam at 75 feet, also a six meter fan and have a six element at 80 feet. When ten is open, and that has not been much as of lately, working dx is not a problem. Performance with 4 elements is fantastic, but those openings have been few and far between.

10. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a used cb 5/8 wave ground plane at a garage sale 20+ years ago for $10. Don't remember the brand. Shortened the vertical and radials, rebuilt the top hat, got a very good match 28.4. Have gotten good reports on it when running my little HR 2510. The feed point is only about 15 feet off the ground.
    That reminds me that it's time to go up and clean the connections again.