Wen 75 tip

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA4ALA, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WA4ALA

WA4ALA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I own a Wen 75 soldering iron that I have had for years. It needs a new tip and I cannot find a source.

Can anyone help?

73's,

Michael
    WA4ALA:confused:

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Michael -

The Wen Electric Company was purchased by Weller in the early 1980s (as I remember).
    Weller made tips for the Wen 75 for another 10 to 15 years after the merger -- but then discontinued their production.

They do occasionally appear on eBay and various surplus outlets.
    You can contact Weller USA in Apex, NC ... to see if they may have a few still in stock with the Repair Center.

w9gb

PS I owned a Wen 75 in 1970s ... it was my first soldering iron (gun).

Attached Files:

3. NO6O

NO6O Moderator QRZ Page

Oh wow! I had one of those soldering guns. I got mine from Radio Shack around 1974. I forgot all about it. Thank you for posting the picture!

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't take that on an airplane!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. WA4ALA

WA4ALA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the information. I have just sent Weller an email. I will post the results.

Michael
    WA4ALA

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wen Electric was based in Chicago, IL.
    The WEN 75 soldering guns were sold by Coast-To-Coast and True Value hardware stores in the 1960s and 1970s.

I would imagine Weller has no parts -- these tips as NOS are getting RARE.

I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you place a WANTED at QRZ, QTH, and Craigslist .. as well as a KEEN EYE during Hamfests.

Local hamfest 5 years ago ... I picked up 7 soldering tips for the GE Soldering iron (6 volt) used by the Heathkit GH-17 solder station (long discontinued) for $1.00
    GE stopped manufacturing of those tips in the early 1980s ... sold all of them to a group of Texas Heathkit collectors/users .. for last Heathkit catalog price (more than $1).

These Wen 75 soldering tips DO APPEAR on eBay ... as long-time hardware and electrical distributors clear out old inventory.

Wen 75 -- November 1963 Popular Science Advertisement. Yes, It sold for $4.95 in 1963 and was that same price until 1973.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=ly...w#v=onepage&q=wen 75 soldering pistol&f=false

It can not hurt to CALL .......... ACK Electronics in Atlanta, GA or Birmingham, AL .. they were clearing out some inventory last year on eBay and
    I picked up some nice legacy Cushcraft items (not currently mfg. by MFJ).
    http://www.acksupply.com/

March 1973 Popular Mechanics article of soldering irons and guns from that era !
    http://books.google.com/books?id=e9...d=0CCgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=WEN 75 tips&f=false
    ====
    w9gb

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.