ad: PowerFilm-1

Weller Replacment Tips

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K8PEZ, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K8PEZ

K8PEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Day All!

I have a Weller WCTCP soldering station that a fellow ham gave me, however it doesn't have a tip, looking at the manual it states that the "default" tip is the PTA7 1.) can someone suggest a place to buy replacement tips, I found a few, but they charge outrageous amounts for shipping 2.) can you recommend some other replacement tips besides the PTA7. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

2. W7KI

W7KI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steven,

I have a pair of WTCPN's and use the PTA and PTL. The PTA is short with a pointed tip and the PTL is long with a pointed tip. The PTA-7 is a chisel-tip. All depends on your preference I suppose. I've used the PTA primarily for about 20 years now and have been satisfied with the results.
  3. AB8UG

AB8UG Ham Member QRZ Page

Got any local hamfests coming up? Sometimes there is a vendor that sells soldering stations and all of the extras that are needed.

4. W2KG

W2KG Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what you consider "outrageous", but Mouser Electronics ( lists PTA7 tips in their inventory and the shipping from them to your QTH for a 1 lb pkg by FEDEX Ground is $6.39. You could probably get a couple of spare tips into a 1 lb pkg.

5. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get the tips from Mouser, they run around 5 to 6 bucks. The problem, as you have already alluded to is the shipping is also 5 or 6 bucks.

I guess there are not any electronics stores in your area. I guess you could check some of the home improvement stores on the chance they might sell Weller irons, although they may not carry replacement tips. Weller irons are very popular.

I have a WP60 which can also use the PTA-7 tip. For many of the different soldering jobs I do I have acquired different size tips for my iron. If you buy more than one tip from Mouser then the shipping doesn't look so bad. (Mouser has no minimum order)

73, and good luck

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised that Greg W9GB hasn't chipped in yet. I'm sure he will be along. He repairs all sorts of soldering stations and will be able to recommend some good sources for tips, cords, etc.

Go with Mouser if you only need the tips, and go with Greg if you need some repair/refurbishment work done on your soldering station.

73, Jim
  7. K8PEZ

Thanks for the input, I have searched for local shops in my area, I did find this place, but not sure if they actually have a store you can goto to pick up the part, or if they just ship from their locations. I will also give mouser another look.
  8. K3NOQ

K3NOQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Weller Tips

Check ACE hardware, Ace is the place! // John
  9. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Banned QRZ Page

Be sure to check Radio Shack. They used to sell all kinds of solderig tips. I recall they had some for Weller.
  10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank -

You are suppose to use the proper "CT" series tip for the W60 and W100 series (Line voltage version of the Magnistat) -- and not the PT series which are shorter and less massive.

"CT5" for the W60 and "CT6" for the W100 irons

The issue here is size of tip and overall tip mass -- with a 60 or 100 watt iron versus the WTCPT iron 42 watts ...

eBay has been a GREAT source for inexpensive "CT" tips for the past few months!!
    Steven -

You need to find an electronics parts distrirbutor (radio/TV distrributors in the "olde days") in your area (Columbus/Dayton, OH).

All of these firms have a catalog or mail order business: Newark, Allied, Mouser, DigiKey, Stanley Tools, MCM/Tenma, Wasssco(CA), Action Electronics(CA), Tecra Tools (Denver, CO), HBF Electronics (Philadelphia), Seattle Tool and Solder Supply (Lynnwood, WA), Tessco, Test Equipment Depot (MA), HMC Electronics (Canton, MA), Lashen Electronics (Denville, New Jersey), Sacramento Electronic Supply (CA), or Tri State Electronics (Mt. Prospect, IL).

$20 minimum order - at Test Equipment Depot - Weller Tips

Weller "PT" tips are $3.09 !!

You also have a very good electronics distributor (Weller) in the Dayton area (much of staff is associated with the annual Hamvention) -- can't remember the store's name -- BUT they do have a COUNTER SERVICE!!

Why don't you use that cellular/mobile phone and call them!!!

Bursma Electronics
    1158 Corrugated Way
    Columbus OH 43201

The temperature control for the Weller "TCP" models is accomplished with the soldering tip and the magnetic switch inside the iron's handle (Curie effect - and original Carl Weller patent in 1958 "Magnistat")

For tips, the TCP-201 iron did come standard with the PTA-7 1/16" screwdriver profile tip - 700 degrees F

I would recommend the PTB-7 for connectors, terminals and boatanchor repair -- that additional mass with a 3/32" -- can make all the difference for faster and clearner soldering connections.

I prefer to stay with the screwdriver(chisel) or single flat tip profiles -- I have never been convinced that conical is really needed in a majority of the work/rework perfromed by amateur hobbyists!

Most of the Weller manuals are available at BAMA or BAMA mirror.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  11. W2KG

W2KG Subscriber QRZ Page

ARCADE Electronics

Arcade Electronics in Alexandria, VA has the PTA7 tips for $3.52 each that brings the overall cost down by a fair amount.

The vendors (for the most part) are not thieves. Shipping costs are not cheap. Have a look at the UPS, FEDEX and USPS charts. Combine that with labor and material overhead and small purchases really do start getting unseemingly expensive, as you have discovered. However, if you consider the fact that a friend gave you a good, PROFESSIONAL piece of equipment (assuming it IS a working item) that would cost you maybe $100 or more to replace, isn't it worth a few bucks to get it into service? :confused:
  12. K8PEZ

WOW, thanks everyone again for the great wealth of information,

w9gb - thanks for the info on the different tips, and what too look for (added to my personal database of information)

I am also going to stop a local hardware store I found.

Thanks again,

13. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

A majority of local hardware stores will NOT have the WTCPT "PT" tips. WHY?
    The hardware stores sell the Orange handled "Consumer" product line (like the Marksman) from Weller.

You need to find an industrial supply / electroncis supply store -- or as previously suggeted a TRUE Electronics parts distributor for Central Ohio, that is located in Columbus.
    SOME Ace hardware stores in manufacturing areas or larger cities -- do carry parts of that product line.

EIS in Cincinnati

Seek out the Industrial or Electronic stores

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  14. AB8SG

AB8SG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you put any value at all on your time, and consider the cost of gasoline, shipping costs are pretty small.
  15. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure my iron is a WP60, I can't look right at the moment. I got it back in the late 70's. I've picked up extra tips for it over the years but I can't say that I knew what the part numbers were, or at least I can't remember. There is no # on the tip just the temperature range stamp on the end. All of my tips, except for the shape of the tip point look identical to the tip that originally came with with the iron.

Anyway it seems to work just fine.

16. NV8R

NV8R Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for tip for Weller W-30 soldering Iron

I am looking to find out what type of tip a Weller W-30 soldering iron would take. I have one that needs a tip but cannot find information on it anywhere. I think it might be the same tip as a CT5 series but not sure. Can anyone help with this? Sorry if this should be new post.

Allen- NV8R
  17. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

These guys have what you need and they provide charts showing the different tips.
  18. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Try the ST series tips.
  19. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Allen -

The Weller W30 and W50 are discontinued.
    This model is CLOSEOUT at for $6.

For tips -- UNLESS you have a Magnistat switch systems (like used in W60 and W100 irons) --
    the CT5 and CT6 tips -- will NOT work properly in that iron.

Call or e-mail Weller USA HQ in North Carolina -- they will fix you up.

Weller Customer Service

Weller Repair Service (warranty and non-warranty)
    Dino Chandler, head of this department

Action Electronics (California) has a nice Weller / Ungar chart for tips

Wassco - Weller parts

w9gb readers:

Weller Tip Recycling Program

Everyone and everything needs to go green.

Weller, known world-wide for their soldering products, is no different.
    They have recently announced their tip recycling program. I think this program is a great idea and it’s pretty easy. Just save the tips you are already throwing out to receive a voucher toward the purchase of new Weller soldering and desoldering tips.

Here is how it works...

Obtain a tip recycling box from Weller or Action Electronics
    Collect two (2) pounds of soldering tips and desoldering tiplets from ANY manufacturer. Send the box with all 2 pounds of soldering tips to:

Cooper Tools
    1000 Lufkin Road
    Apex, NC 27539

Cooper Tools will recycle the tips and send you a numbered and dated voucher in the amount of $75.00 !!!

Use the one-time use voucher to purchase new Weller soldering tips!

The goal of this program is to protect the environment and conserve natural resources by recycling the iron and copper used to make the tips.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.