Well here is the best CB radio.. Should be illegal

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7GJY, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KB7GJY

KB7GJY Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a Midland 79-290

After doing a quick search I found how easy it is to Mod. not only does this radio show the "real" freq, but it can be opened up all the way up to 29.7 MHz. It is a very easy mod. What strikes me as odd. The FCC goes after Kenwood about sky-command then Icom about their radios being to easy to mod to listen out of the amatuer band, ie 800MHz, and yet they allow this??? Maybe I am lost, and don't understand the thinking. But when I started out in CB if someone were to say goto 26.965, I would have tried channels 26 or 27. not channel 1.

The only saving grace, sort of, is that the radio is almost $200.00 new. So at least not every teenager will have one. Or at least I hope.

Now before I get flamed by pro CB'ers, as I am not anti-CB, is this may be a very fine rig. But could someone explain to me why a CB needs are "true" freq. display. I know a long time ago they did, but Now? Now there may be some reason that I may not be aware of that some might need a true freq. display for legal reason, and if so, then I do appoligies. Personally I think that that the FCC should look REAL close at this radio. I mean if they want to make life a hassle for Ham radio companies, why not do the same to CB radio companies.

Anyways, just wanted to get some others input on this subject.

Allen ----------- KB7GJY ------------ Spokane, Washington

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.