Welcome to Computers and Software

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7BQ, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's been a fair amount of talk in the other forums about computers and software and one of our moderators suggested that the subject might warrant its own forum.

As I'm fond of saying, "Good Idea!", even though somebody else thought of it.  :)

This is not a HELP forum. If you have questions and need help regarding QRZ, etc., please send email to editor@qrz.com, or, use the Help Forum.

So, with little fanfare, I'm pleased to open this forum which will be strictly limited to computers and software.

Also, please note that our first moderator for this forum is Tom, KC9ECI

2. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think I just figured out which moderator suggested it. [​IMG]

Bill

KA1BSZ likes this.
  3. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't slip anything past you can we!

4. N6BOA

N6BOA Ham Member QRZ Page

'Twas a good idea Tom.

[​IMG]

5. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea Tom, and Fred. Computers are an everyday part of amateur radio for most hams, be it as simple as logging software, internet resources like QRZ and eHam, or complicated matters like integrating and networking our radio gear into our home networks, there is a lot of benefit int his.

HOWEVER...I would like to point out that there is a danger, well not a danger but a small problem, with having too many specialized forums. We all know that Ragchew, Talk, and Q&A get the most activity. Many of the other forums are scarcely even "viewed" by the majority of us, unless we see a new topic or active thread when we do a search (which is disabled)....

So, I am afraid what happens is that questions go unanswered, comments ignored, or posts overlooked in favor of theactive forums.

In other words, as a for instance, I had a problem with networking my notebook and desktop computers this weekend and started as thread on the subject. I was able to resolve the problem myself, but that is beside the point.If I had posted the subject in a low traffic forum, I probably would have waited a long time for suggestions and might have spent hours if not days resolving it myself (if I hadn't stumbled upon the solution).

So, might I suggest a few things?

First, perhaps on the front page of the forums, a list could be generated of active or recent postings in each forum...maybe the 5 most recent or active threads. That would be one suggestion.

Or alternatively, maybe the mods could be a little less insistant on moving certain types of topics to "more appropriate forums". Give someone the option, in other words. If an issue is immediate, allow them to post the topic in the ragchew or Q&A forums without it being moved by a moderator. Or maybe, if the IKONBOARD software permits, a selection could be made in the computer forum when starting a new thread...something like..."Is this problem urgent and needing immediate attention?"...and if the poster says yes, have is thread redirected to the Q&A forum.

Maybe I'm just being silly, but I knowmy browsing habits on this site, and I'd bet most guys are very similar. The "search" feature has been my friend, because it keeps me up to date on active and recent postings.

6. W5KLB

W5KLB Ham Member QRZ Page

Imagine that! [​IMG]

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. That explains something - I had posted to a thread earlier in the Q&A section and this afternoon it was driving me nuts trying to find it again - it just seemed to have completely dropped off the system.

Then I happened to notice this new section and what do you know, that thread had been moved here.

8. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Suggestion:

If a question is about computers, but ham software/hardware related leave it in Q&A.

i.e. question about hooking up a radio, QSL'ing software PSK etc.

Reason being, I think most go in there to answer or ask such. I know I do.

9. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred & Tom,
    TNX for the great idea. Yes at times the computer stuff can get a little over bearing. Some get the idea that computers are part of Ham Radio,but by that logic a box of kleenex could be called Ham Radio.
    That being said Computers are a handy accessory,but they are by no means a NEEDED item to have a working station.
    Tnx agn for separating them from the Ham Radio Forums.
    Keep up the good work and QRZ will remain on top of the heap for decades to come.    [​IMG]

10. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just found this section.
    Thanks guys! Great idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.