ad: Halibut-1

We Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5AHN, Apr 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA6TK

AA6TK Ham Member QRZ Page

2. AI0T

AI0T Ham Member QRZ Page

Done, and happy about it.

3. XE2OR

XE2OR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did it !!

4. W9LRM

W9LRM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Added my vote.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

An excellent 3D printer can be had--new-- for less than $600 on EBay. The cheap Chinese knockoffs, for PLA or ABS , are going for $200. Is that what they are looking for? Are they seeking such a donation? Will the entire school have access for appropriate pro 3D printing projects? Or just these 10 students?

I am certain that a 3D printer is available for the asking, in lieu of (failing at getting) funds. In fact, I will personally guarantee it.

I still don't see a $5000 requirement. I'd really like to know what they need, or that this is just an exercise in fund raising?

As a (young) college professor, with highly constrained availability of funds, I did the same thing I did when I was 12 years old: scoure the fleas for parts, ask nicely for specific needs, accept 'no' graciously, and press on regardless. Being resourceful is certainly worth pursuing as fund raising--but the plan B's usually get you there instead.

People are interested and want to help. Give them the ammunition with a realistic shopping list.

My opinion, Yours may differ.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  7. KG5FFM

KG5FFM Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

After careful review of the three options, I find all of the offerings worthwhile. They are all winners.

However, the Santa Rita submission had the clearest examples of where and how the money would be spent, and seemed to present evidence for the widest potential influence amongst the students and their needs, compared to the other two offerings.

Reluctantly, IMO, I think the Santa Rita kids gave the most compelling case for the funds, and I voted accordingly.

Your opinion may differ, and clearly for many it does. However all of the three submissions are winners (as I said) and all are to be congratulated.

Chip W1YW

9. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

Voted!

The current group of students hopefully will not only move forward into industry with basic instrumentation experience applied into the field, but experience moving cutting edge, exciting, and productive research into the hands of others who can then only realize how important the investment is for our schools, students & teachers, not to mention the ultimate customer, whom there are many. Great work and... sky's the limit!

73's
    Doug
    N5DMC

W1YW likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I mostly agree.

Certainly the incentive is there when you reach the college level, based purely on economics.

The problem is that the curriculum, teachers, and resources (from ages 10 to 18) to expose and acculturate young people to STEM professions is still lacking. Five years ago, I would say it was 'sorely lacking', so there is some good news.

Because the situation is not as acute as when China was putting out 50 times more engineers than the US (and US engineers, less than 10 years ago, could not find jobs, for example), this allows less of a 'throw money at it' approach, and a more directed approach with smart use of funds. For example, NASA will be dropping its STEM office (and $125M line item (2017)on the budget!) because of duplication of effort with other agencies in the Federal branch. I agree with this.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/17/14947444/trump-budget-plan-cuts-nasa-asteroid-mission-europa

In ham radio, we are doing a great job of encouraging young people in STEM. But we,IMO, should be careful on where and when to spend money.

For example, last Summer, I was set to make a major donation of ham equipment to one of my alma maters--W2CXM-- only to discover they had plenty of new rigs--and more transceivers than club members! When I was a grad student at Cornell, I had to schlep my TS820 and SB220 to operate. And there were about 50 club members. They were easily enticed to come to meetings (including me) by donuts.

I told the trustee to get back to me when W2CXM had an alternative plan. IMO, one such plan, for example, would be to sell a few of the rigs and take the cash to run a recruitment campaign and ham classes. Then ask for money as needed.

I am still waiting.

Let's help and be generous, but plan smart. And many thanks for those who can volunteer their time.

MO. Yours may differ,

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  11. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Chip,

In the dead center of Silicon Valley, I was plundering through the local High School, when early on, I requested to be sent off campus to work in the local industry. Called "work experience". Finally landing a nice position at NASAAmes Research Center. I even talked the PE coach into giving me credit for riding my bike to the facility, so I would never be seen at that campus - ever. This gave me a chance to work with the best, when Sperry was outfitting all aircraft cockpits with a CRT! The project was an Instrumentation Landing System for Vertical Take off & Landing aircraft, some not meant for this mode of flying and I was a tech building the test bench.

This gave me a decent chance, launching me into the tech field with a solid trajectory. Currently and I must say sadly, "offshore" manufacturing has taken away allot of dreams. Relevant engineering and manufacturing positions are gone as also some sort of economical presence in the face of $40 microwave ovens selling at Walmart and anything made in the U.S. is priced out of sight. These days we live in the halls of victimization handed to us by big business and our government. So anyway I can find, to carve out my niche, and for that matter, anyone else, I applaud the effort especially if it's actually a productive effort rather than a practice in diligence. You know, warm & fussy stuff.

Elmering is what is needed for our kids, big & small, and is what this teacher has accomplished, I want to join this team!

Best & 73's
    Doug
    N5DMC

W1YW likes this.
  12. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip, I've read each of your posts in this thread and applaud your perseverance. Yours is the voice of reason in this particular wilderness. Unfortunately, most either don't get it or don't care. I'll bet the voting would have been very different if the request had been for each person to donate $100 rather than vote to spend someone else's money. Ok, let the trolls begin . . .

WF9Q and W1YW like this.
  13. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Done & good luck :)

14. W8EAS

W8EAS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They have to learn it somewhere; here's as good as any:)
    Chip W1YW