ad: Winterfest-1

We lost a co-sponsor on ARPA

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Dec 22, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ryan Zinke lives in my hometown (Whitefish, Montana) where I still have an address. I wrote to him, submitting my Whitefish address as the response with my e-mail, inquiring as to why he withdrew and to reconsider his withdrawal. He never wrote back. I'm disappointed.

Whitefish is a small town. Yes, it's full of pretentious rich snobs and trust fund babies but it is still a small town. I probably could ride my bike down and knock on his door (everybody knows where everbody lives) but will give him the respect not to do that.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If TV antennas are acceptable, then ham antennas are equally acceptable and HOA's and towns should be required to accomodate them as well. There is NO alternative to hanging antennas outside. And after all, we do have federal licenses.

TV watching is a hobby too! That is not the issue. Zoning regulations and HOA rules are something that the average citizen has zero chance of changing. THAT is why our proposal makes sense and is needed.

W7JZE, N2EY and KB7QPS like this.
  3. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

There in a nutshell is the reason he did it. Like I said before, "The Investor Class".

4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love the Whitefish area, all the way up the highway to the border. Beautiful territory. :)

KB7QPS likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Again, the above is comparing apples to rutabagas. OTARD was made law to level the playing field between cable, satellite, and terrestrial TV suppliers. A side benefit was to TV users (one of the suppliers is FREE).

OTOH, HR1301/S1685 was proposed (by ARRL) to force HOAs and the majority non-ham residents to accept antennas of the infinitesimal number of ham HOA residents. IMO, ARRL just wants to increase the number of paying customers and advertising revenue. ARRL has been pushing the public service and technical self-training aspect of ham radio. The only problem with that is:

• MOST hams don't do any public service, and most all news accounts of hams helping in disasters have not indicated an increasing need for hams' help. They just want to get on the air and ragchew/contest/DX.
    • Between decades ago and now, MOST hams are nothing more than "appliance operators". That is, MOST are not involved in advancing the state of the art of radio-electronics. They just want to get on the air and ragchew/contest/DX.
    Yes, we have Federal (ham) licenses. That allows us to operate ham transmitters. It doesn't require others to let us break our legal private contracts/agreements/whatever.

You don't know that. You're assuming that.

6. KU0O

KU0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, how much does the HOA lobby pay you?

W7JZE and N5PZJ like this.
  7. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

The Investor Class has been sold a bill of goods, mainly that Real Estate is the best investment and the protection of that Investment is why those 50 cent Millionaires go to such measures to protect the INVESTMENT. In the long run, Real Estate is a poor investment due to the taxation and maintenance which eat up the long term return, a house worth $250,000 will have a tax bill of over $2,000 yearly as well as $1,000 a year upkeep as well as a $1500 insurance bill which means that unless you have a 5% gain in value each year, you are losing on your investment!!! Talk about diminishing returns, most of these 50 cent millionaires are hoping that inflation will help, but mostly all inflation does is boost its tax value for the tx man!!! Remember all those folks who bought 1500 an ounce Gold, well its down to 1050. How is that working out for ya?

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The relevant point of the OTARD ruling was to overcome restriction on antennas for TV usage. My comparison of antennas to antennas and the restrictions of HOA';s and zoning ordinances are a complete problem and justification. The OTARD precedent has been set and clearly should apply for amateurs.

I never mentioned emergency services and think it has no part of the case for amateur antenna "rights".

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

None -- I have zero pecuniary (or other) interest in HR1301/S1685 passing or failing.

We agree on your first point. However, receiving antennas for OTARD are of defined size; the definition used by ARRL for ham antennas is "reasonable" which means different things to different people. The definition is too vague because an effective ham antenna is necessarily larger and/or higher (ham radio signals are weak, compared to broadcast signals). An effective antenna for 160m or even 80m is necessarily large. An effective antenna for 70cm needs to be above large nearby absorptive and/or reflective objects such as houses and vegetation.

You didn't mention emergency services but, ARRL did. Apparently, they think it has relevance but, they didn't show sufficient currently-valid expanded NEED. In HR1301 (link), they state only that:

"(2) Amateur radio, at no cost to taxpayers, provides a fertile ground for technical self-training in modern telecommunications, electronics technology, and emergency communications techniques and protocols."

Note that there's nothing about current or future need by the public or first responders. If ARRL had supplied some data showing an increased need and/or reduced number of ham participation, they'd have a strong argument. So far, not. They also state that hams are a source of trained personnel for communication and electronics technology. More than ever, MOST hams are nothing more than appliance operators, and know virtually nothing of what's inside the box.

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am disabled, mobile in MN in winter? Nope not happening unless I am going somewhere. Portable is a no way not possible, club station? None around here, and remote station is $$$$$$$$$$$$