Was VP6D on 80 CW this morning at 1145Z a pirate?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N6PAT, Oct 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K7VZ

K7VZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 5 slots confirmed in their log, but only 3 show up on DXA. They're on a remote island, so we should consider ourselves lucky they are doing any sort of real time updates.

WD3N, W7UUU, KU4X and 2 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Really amazing isn't it!!

Dave
    W7UUU

W3MMM likes this.
  3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The missing QSO is now in the log. It's still not in DXA but I don't care about that as long as it's in the log.

I was concerned that it was a pirate because DXA was not showing any CW activity at the time of my QSO. They must still be having problems with that

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. Latest upload to the online log shows my 15 CW QSO, but DXA does not.

But that's OK. It just appears to mean that the "realtime" system's database never got the info... so long as it's ultimately in the log, though, that's all that's important.

I do wonder whose QSO got busted on 15 SSB that ended up with my call. All I know is, it wasn't me.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My 30m CW I think was busted too :( He came back with "W7UU" and there's no negotiating after that :)

Just gonna have to try again on 30

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5JY likes this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was over at W3WH's this morning, after the monthly club breakfast (he needed a hand setting up a new computer in the shack), circa 0930 EDT/1330 Z. They were coming through pretty well at that point. If we'd bothered to figure out the split, we probably would have worked them (I was too busy running cables around, and it's hard to send CW when you're on your back surrounded by dust bunnies!)

I had something like that happen, many moons ago, with the ZL7C trip in 2002. First time I tried to work them on 30, under less than ideal conditions (lots of static, noise, etc), they logged me as WN3VA. Had to give up and go to work; next morning, conditions were great, got them on 1 call. Go figure.

So no worries. They have another week, and YOU should have no problems working them.

WZ7U and W7UUU like this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a tell you, your icon looks like a prop out of an old science fiction movie:cool:;)

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had left the rig on their 12 CW frequency. Short time ago, their signal got quite strong, so I gave it a shot (2 Up, incidentally).

Op first came back to me as W4WN. Then W3W?. Then W3WNN & W3WNW. Signal started to drop, so I decided to wait a minute or three. Signal came back up, they were an honest 599+10 to my ears... got the call right the first time.

And as I’m sending, I see my call come up in DXA... from 3 minutes earlier (there is a delay). So the op DID get my call right, I just never heard the acknowledgement due to fading propagation.

So it goes.

They’re at the point where the pileups are down, and they’re closing in on 100,000 QSOs. Good job done by all, and they still have most of the week left to go!

W7UUU likes this.
  9. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I stayed up all night for the contest and saw VP6D on the cluster at 5am working FT8 160 normal mode. I sat there for TWO HOURS calling them and finally got them for another band. The QSO showed up in DXA almost immediately.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Now I WONDER if my 160M FT-8 QSO was bogus too. Did I really work Ducie or some AH pretending to be him? In FT-8 it is so easy to just change the callsign of the station.
    I worked him; the QSO never showed up on DXA, so after a half hour of waiting to see if it was just slow thruput, I worked him again.
    1840 kc.
    this time I took a Pic of the QSO. Same thing, no DXA!!!
    Days later, STILL NOT IN THE LOG!
    WHO did I work?