ad: Schulman-1

Warning: KM-Electronics and the N8XJK Boost Regulators Jan2019

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WQ6N, Mar 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would hold off regarding KM-Electronics and the N8KXJ Boost Regulators. I put in an order in early Jan 19 and have been met with promises of shipment and several excuses of delay. Currently, I am not getting any email or phone call updates. At this point I will try and get the charges backed out. It may require a electronic fraud report to IC3.gov if I do not get an acknowledgement to the registered letter.

I do not know if this is just a scam or there is a Man-in-the-Middle exploit ongoing. Something is not right.

For those who do get scammed, there is the FBI report site: https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx fraud reporting as-well-as the US Secret Service (USSS) Electronic Crimes Task Force (ECTF). There is also a site for loss of Intellectual Property if needed.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

How about some more details about the purchase process? And perhaps any pertinent links, etc... Did you get an unsolicited email, pop-up ad, find it on a website, or what? Did you order online, by carrier pigeon...

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Per this link it's fairly new startup or takeover of the product.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, the website looks pretty cheesy and unfinished -- I would be suspect. Funny, when I tried to look up the domain registration, I get this message:

"Sorry, but the Registry or Registrar WHOIS Server responded with a rate limit message due to high query volumes or has closed the connection without a response. Please try your request again later."

I guess several folks had the same idea?

5. WQ6N

The site was pointed out by a fellow ham who said he received a booster. The purchase was through Square and the receipt looked normal. I did send a couple of requested status emails and was answered by Kris Southerland. Supposedly he and his wife Michelle took over the product line. Each response was met with an excuse centered on parts availability or health issues. Email and registered letter sent requested they call me. Never happened.

I do know that weather and snow may have contributed to the lack of action. However, that does not negate the ability for someone to call.

KM Electronics
    747 7th Street
    Laurium, MI 49913 ( Calumet, MI 49913) ?

The zipcode above does not match the city name.

pipl.com search: Chris Southerland MI
    Sounded right with his wifes name but does not match location

email: Kris Southerland <kris@km-electronics.com> Using iPhone Mail (16C101)
    d=km-electronics-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623

If I do not receive a response as requested in my letter, I will start the IC3 fraud report. There is another ham out of TX that is in the same boat as myself.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW - Laurium is immediately adjacent to Calumet and likely served by the same PO.

7. WQ6N

I might have to "Eat Crow" on this thread. This whole thing appears to be combination of a potential lack of communication problem and bad timing weather wise.
    I have received this email today:
    -----------snip--------------
    KM-ELECTRONICS
    Your items have been shipped.
    Shipping Information
    John Feist
    (my address and phone contact number)
    Delivery
    USPS
    Tracking Number (a tracking number was provided but USPS has not received the package)
    Order Summary
    Item Desc Quantity
    N8XJK Super Booster
    Upgrades: (list of ordered upgrades)
    SKU: SPB01
    KM Electronics
    Order No. (my order number)
    --------------------------

To be honest, I really do want small businesses to make it.
    I am going take a pause and see this thing through.

Very Respectfully, JohnF

8. WQ6N

Now I understand what is happening. https://www.km-electronics.com/news
    There was more to the event than just non-communication and the weather.
    This was a story of a couple that tried to get a small business off the ground while working full time.
    Appears that the demand was too great of a strain.
    I am personally very sad that this did not work out for them.
    They are looking for someone to take over the booster line and will honor existing orders.
    V/R, JohnF

KP4SX likes this.
  9. WQ6N

Just received an email from Kris, BLUF is that he was overwhelmed and had to make a tough business decision.
    I am humbly happy to be in error here.
    Moderator, I am going to consider this event closed.
    Removal is ok by me as the business is closing the product line.

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. K8MH

K8MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Those two cities/towns are basically one & the same, very remote areas of michigans upper peninsula, see attached files for details and bigger picture.

big map.JPG small towns.JPG