Want to build a rotatable dipole

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC9RJI, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KC9RJI

KC9RJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old Mosley tri bander that I really don't have room for.. I would like to build a multiband dipole from the traps and elements
    Any info on where to start would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks
    Bruce
    KC9RJI

2. NA7U

NA7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not familiar with the antenna, but does it have a single driven element for all three bands? If so, then the place to start is to simply strip off the director and reflector and start tuning from there.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Usually there's nothing to tune. If it's a Mosley TA-33, for example, they sell that as a rotary dipole as model number TA-31. It's just the driven element from a TA-33.

"Tuning" is accomplished only by adjusting the lengths of the aluminum tubing, which are adjustable by design. All you'd really need is a bracket to mount it on a vertical support mast as opposed to the original horizontal boom. Such brackets are available from DX Engineering and elsewhere. Most Mosley triband traps are 10/15m traps built into a single device on each side of the element. Piece of cake.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which model Mosley tribander?

5. KC9RJI

KC9RJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Its the classic 33 and I should have mentioned that I want to keep it rotatable and possibly still cover all three bands.

6. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just put up the radiator.

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have exactly this (from unknown tri-band yagi) in my attic and it works well. I don't rotate it as it is near the peak of the attic.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

In that case, just rotate the house. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.