Waiting.........

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K0MBT, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K0MBT

K0MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    In the end I didn't produce any ID.

N6QIC likes this.
  2. K0MBT

duplicate post

3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K4AGO

"ditties?" What are "ditties?" Surely you aren't referring to CW... The Baofeng has to be programmed to be able to receive and transmit. The NWS weather frequencies may have been programmed into the Baofeng before you received it.

5. K4AGO

Because some malicious things have occurred on the zed. They just want you to prove that it is really you and not someone pretending to be you. It won't be used in any way to harm you of for any identity theft purposes.

6. K4AGO

I believe you will find that the dials are tritium and not radium. Radium is a deadly radioactive substance. Tritium gas in little vials is what is used in luminous watch dials and radio dials.

ND6M likes this.
  7. K0MBT

You might want to read up on the R390.
    http://www.n6cc.com/radium-painted-meters
    The dials were radium treated when built in the mid 20th century.

Ditties are what the operators called morse code in the A.S.A. Not my term but I adopted it.

8. MENGTIAN

MENGTIAN Member

Hey. I went into the Army in 1984 as a 33S. They broke that up and I was a 33R (maintained the EW systems for Army aircraft.) I was at Ft. Devens for 13 months for AIT (1984-1985). Maintained and flew OV/RV-1 Mohawks, RC-12's (Crazy Horse as well). I then was with SOCOM for my last 13 years.

I am going to take my Technicians Class exam next month and will follow up with my General.

9. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tritium is an important component in nuclear weapons. It is used to enhance the efficiency and yield of fission bombs and the fission stages of hydrogen bombs in a process known as "boosting" as well as in external neutron generators for such weapons.

Tritium has replaced Radium in the production of luminous watch dials and radio dials as it is much safer. However, Tritium has a half life of about 11-12 years. So as the Tritium decays away your watch dial's luminescence starts to fade. After enough years it's luminescence will no longer be perceptible.