ad: portazero-1

WA6MHZ/KH6

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Oct 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, the Good Nun is having her 30th Wedding Anniversary on Oahu Island this coming November! She will spend 7 glorious days and nights enjoying the wonders of Hawaii, just as all the Tourists do.

Last time we were there was in 1986, the day after she got married.
    It would not go well for her though.
    On he first morning of her Honeymoon, she slipped in the shower and cut her wrist wide open on the cheap shower door down to the bone!!
    She got is sewn up, but could not swim the rest of the trip.
    I was almost a widower 1 day into our marriage!!!
    We had a SEEDY high rise hotel room on the 30th floor of some Wakkiki hotel. I forget the name, but it was terrible.
    This time we are staying at a Hampton Inn near Pearl Harbor, away from the tourists of Honolulu.
    should be alot better, free breakfasts too

Last time we had to buy canned spagehtti to eat in a little Hawaiian market, and go to the Dole Pineapple factory to get Pineapple juice (all we could drink!!)
    this room has a coffee maker and a reefer, so not much cooking facilities.
    Last time we went to a McDonalds where they wanted almost $10 for a Big Mac!!!
    Wonder how much they are now?

So what are we going to do for 7 days there??? don't know, but we will spend Thanksgiving there, so we gotta find some place that has turkey. Imagine how much imported Turkey will cost in Hawaii!!!
    I plan on buying a snorkle mask and diving in Hananuma bay. That is alotta fun. we will go the Arizona Memorial, which now appologizes to the Japanese for going to war with them, despite what they did to Pearl Harbor.
    we will go to China town and see what there is to do there. Eat some DIM SUM. Going to be raping the VISA card hard on this trip.

Meanwhile, I will miss the Turkey day net unless I can find a KH6 Ham who will let us into his shack.
    the only radio I will bring is a Handy talkie which I will smuggle in with the carryon bag.
    I probably oughta get a new laptop for the trip too. My 10 inch netbook is fine for airlines, but only has Windows XP on it. Need a newer system and more horsepower.
    Rat bastards want $25 a bag to ship on the plane, so we will need carry on only
    that means no tools, not even a leatherman
    Clothes.
    She can wash our clothes in the bathtub and hang them up in the room to dry
    We will buy more Hawaiian shirts (matching of course) from Hilo Hatties or Walmart.
    I will need maybe 3 sets of underwear, her too, those can be washed. some socks too. Going to be GOING light, need room in the suit case to bring back all the JUNK we pick up there. (souveniers, reefer magnets, shirts and more orchids.)
    Last time we smuggled home a Coconut. It didn't grow

So I need something to do for 7 days there. NO HUSBAND AND WIFE ACTIVITIES!! we are too old for that!
    we have a rental car and will undoubtedly drive over EVERY SQUARE INCH of the island.
    Any KH6 Hams read QRZed???
    Anyone want to meet WA6MHZ and the Good NUN?

N7BDY, VA1WAB, K2XT and 1 other person like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

Meanhile the Pusses are going to really FILL the litter box for her. Maybe she oughta buy a spare!! Imagine a litterbox with 7 days of droppings in it!!! STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN!!!
    I can also imagine the COLD TREATMENT we will get when we return.
    "HOW DARE YOU ABANDON US FOR A WEEK!!!"

VA1WAB and AF6LJ like this.
  3. WA6MHZ

Visa VIOLATED for $2600!!
    We wantdd to go to Kauai, but it was just too expensive and not that much to do there. I dont do hiking'

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should visit the latest volcanic attraction while you are there. If you survive report back with photos.

Will you be operating while you are there?

PS: We use a sterilite plastic tote box with a U shaped cutout at one end for kittehs Lbox. It keeps a lot of the mess inside of the box. It will hold a ton of _____ if needed.

[​IMG]

Have a wonderful trip.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a fun and memorable trip Pat! I'm actually on Oahu now, on business. I come here a couple times a year - had I known, I could have delayed my trip until you're here and bought you a drink with a little umbrella in it! :) I fly home in 6 hours.

Do you know where you're staying? Hopefully not Waikiki - Turtle Bay is very nice up on the North Shore. The Disney place looks super nice too. Traffic is horrible here, most all the time except early morning and late at night - "Manhattan with palm trees".

For a super nice park picnic, you can't beat Kailua Beach Park just a little West of Kailua proper on the Windward side. The Dole Pineapple Plantation tour is very nice as well - you ride on a little train through the fields while they explain stuff. And of course, the Pearl Harbor stuff - but the crowds are very thick - I'm not a crowd person so that's not my cup of tea.

Enjoy your stay - and just remember that it most often takes 1 hour to drive 6-10 miles on Oaho - so plan accordingly :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat, I want to know your source saying that the USS Arizona memorial apologizes to Japan for going to war with them. I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere.

7. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So Pat, are you driving your SUPERFLEX?

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget to attend one luau and eat some poi, just so you can come back and enjoy how much better Ramen tastes compared with that crap.:p

For cheap food, buy Spam at the market. Everybody in Hawaii eats Spam. I don't know why.

Have fun!!!!

K9ASE and KA2CZU like this.
  9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WoW this is great Pat, You guys have fun....

10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

goto Hanauma Bay... if you are in waikiki, there is a bus that runs up to it, but given a rental car, drive. get some masks and snorkels... you can walk down, and then walk out in the bay put on the masks and snorkels (optional)
    and watch a totally fascinating display of fish that you will never forget.

let me emphasize you don't HAVE to swim to enjoy this... the place is like a walk in aquarium

my wife had never snorkeled in her life, I walked her out, held a mask to her face and said "put your head under the water".... that's all it took and she was hooked.

https://www.hawaii.com/oahu/attractions/hanauma-bay/

K9ASE likes this.