ad: Alphaant-1

WA2ZDY QRZ Moderator, Friend and Retired Corrections Officer

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W6VPS, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6VPS

W6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris Johnson - WA2ZDY

Rest In Peace Chris.

My name is Linda Hondo and I am Kim Johnson's sister. You are receiving this note because your email address is on the list of folks Chris wanted me to tell when the time came. Chris passed away early today, Fri August 13,2010 after his long struggle with Parkinson's Disease. I would like to share with you his words to me.

I've wondered over the years if it would be "better" to decline over time as I am, or to go suddenly. I still don't know. All I can do is accept my own situation. I DO know that as much of a burden as I have and will continue to become, it absolutely horrifies me to think of Kim opening the front door to find a highway patrolman or a captain from work standing there holding his hat and looking at his feet. As I often say though, we don't make the plan, we follow it.

The ladies on that message board tell me how much they admire my strength and bravery and that I am "such an inspiration." That's really nice of them, but I am unworthy!

Bravery is not the absence of fear; it means accomplishing the objective in spite of one's fears. I am certainly nervous but this "Journey of Faith" (as I call it) is progressing toward its inevitable conclusion, whether or not I'm ready. It's not bravery to accept a certainty.

One last point. Many people have said they feel sorry for me. I say DON'T! I spent my adult life with men who'd flushed their lives away, many as teenagers. Look at our heroes dying over in the sandbox. Many of those kids - yes, kids! - are only 18-20 years old. I'm lucky. A devoted, loving wife, my 3 sons, a career that continues to take good care of my family and me and which I enjoyed. Yes, I'm luckier than most.

Information regarding arrangements is available at www.loylessfuneralhome.com.

Paul Sullivan
    W6VPS - Fresno, CA

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul, like you, I just received the email from Linda .. sad, but he is now free of pain and residing in a much better place..

Or condolences to the family.

Bill, W0LPQ

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OMG I'm so sad and sorry to hear about Chris's passing.

We met in New Jersey, where we both grew up and I'm speechless because I'm older than Chris and still here.

The world has lost a really great guy. I don't believe in reincarnation, but I hope in this case it's true because Chris needs to come back as a butterfly with a keyer paddle.

Damn, I'm sad about this. Life is way too short, and the good really do die young.

4. W2SJW

W2SJW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I found out this afternoon from his best friend George (N2FVV). I knew Chris for a good number of years before his health turned for the worse & he moved to Florida.

There was a time I talked to him almost every single day on our club's 2M repeater (W2QW) as he would commute to and from work.

What a sad day...

5. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Chris and I first met when I was 13 years old, he is 2 years older then me. He is the reason I have become and enjoyed ham radio since 1978. We had lost touch for a few years until one day we both were working at the same jail. There our friendship was reunited and my furthering interest into ham radio began. Chris and I talked on the radio on a daily basis during the 1980's until I was promoted to Sergeant and worked different shifts on the opposite side of the state.

In 1997 my wife was almost the woman who had the Captain come to the door with his hat off looking at his feet. I was assaulted severely by an inmate that left me with a serious head injury and some other injuries. Subsequently after 15 years of service I was forced to retire on an Accidental Disability Pension at the rank of Lieutenant. Another 3 months and I would have been promoted to Captain.

Over the years and a move to Florida and back Chris and I always managed to stay in touch with each other. I was devastated 5 years ago when Chris's change in life began. My Father had Parkinson's Disease for 11 years before he passed away so I know the pain of watching a loved one suffer like this. During his illness I suggested to him that I would ask Fred (AA7BQ) if he could become a Moderator for this website. I knew he very much enjoyed this site and spent many hours here so he became a Moderator and a darn good one. His level of professionalism reminded me of the days we worked side by side in the jails.

I know now that Chris is in a better place, no more suffering, no more pain. As I write through tear filled eyes I will always have the memories of my friendship with Chris and how much it means to me. I have suffered the loss of many loved ones and former coworkers but none have hit me as hard as this. To Chris's family I offer my sincerest condolences. To the children he left behind they should be proud of the accomplishments in their Fathers life. He was a brave man who did the right thing and maintained the highest degree of professionalism even in the worst of situations.

I will sadly miss my good friend but will never forget the memories of the times we spent together both on the job and off.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  6. N1XDS

N1XDS Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I only spoke with Chris (WA2ZDY) a few times on the forums in different topic areas I learned alot from him in his post. He's going to be missed by his love one's, family and his friends. I am sorry for his family lost.

Rest in peace Chris.

- Jamie (N4CYA)

7. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Steve,

Chris was a childhood diabetic and took insulin since his teen years. I'm sure that did not help him very much and could have been what brought this on. Steve you probably know me by my original callsign (WD2AHD) as I know we have met on numerous occasions.

Today is a very sad day for me and the entire QRZ and Ham Radio community. We lost one of the good ones and I to hope he is reincarnated as a butterfly with a Vibroplex Bug (No pun intended) and operates 40 CW all he wants.

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Chris.

[​IMG]

9. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Christopher "Chris" A. Johnson
    10/9/1961 - 8/13/2010

Christopher, A., “Chris”, 48 of Wesley Chapel, Fla., passed away Friday, August 13, 2010. He was born in Woodbridge, NJ and moved to Fla. from Freehold, NJ in 2006. Chris attended Westfield and Woodbridge public schools and graduated from Perth Amboy Vo-Tech high school in 1979. He attended Middlesex County College and later Brookdale Community College where he earned an Associate in Arts (photography major) degree in 1991. He retired in 2005 after a 24 year career as a correction officer for the New Jersey Department of Corrections. Chris worked at facilities in Yardville, Avenel and Rahway during his career. Chris was an avid amatuer radio operator since age 13, and was known by friends around the world as “WA2ZDY”. He was also known by photography enthusiasts on the 2peas photo forum as “ZDY”. He is survived by his wife of 13 years, Kim; three sons, Ryan of Manalapan, NJ, Matthew and Nicholas of Wesley Chapel and his parents, Camilla Johnson of Woodridge, NJ and Ralph Johnson of Roselle, NJ. A funeral service will take place at 2:00 p.m. Monday, August 16th at Loyless Funeral Home. The family will receive friends one hour prior to the service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.