ad: HamHats-1

WA2JWJ will be sorely missed.

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2EPD, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2EPD

K2EPD Ham Member QRZ Page

A really good friend to everyone became a silent key today. John Amaniera WA2JWJ who was a Vietnam vet and a real American lost his battle with cancer today at the young age of 65. John who lost his eyesight in the war came home and led a life that he refused to let his blindness slow him down. Shortly after returning home he took a job rebuilding all types of transmissions and from what I was told by more then a few he was the best at doing what he did. I met john about twelve years ago on the radio and for almost a year I had no clue that he was blind. It only came about when I said to him, John I just sent you a few pictures of my bike in an email. His reply was " sorry I wont be able to see them". My reply was why is your computer on the fritz. That's when he said he was blind. But that was John lived life like he could see everything. And now I know he did. John I will miss you man.

2. KB2UET

KB2UET Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we will miss you JWJ
    Hope you got your 3 props where ever you are.

3. K2GLR

K2GLR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am so sorry to hear about John. I always enjoyed talking with him. He was a wealth of information.
    John will be missed.
    Robert
    KC2GLR

4. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will miss you John. A Great guy and always fun to chat with.

5. WB2SRF

WB2SRF Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P John, may the Lord keep you in eternal peace

6. KC2JFS

KC2JFS Ham Member QRZ Page

[h=5]A good Ham Radio buddy WA2JWJ passed away Monday morning. His voice was like a favorite blanket or jacket. If life ever got tough or you were depressed most of the times you could turn on the radio and hear his voice.

I stopped being radioactive about two years ago. I would talk to this man everyday then I got a new car and put ham radio aside. Every once in awhile I would get on and say hi and catch up.

I regret letting the excuses of everyday life get in the way of just saying hello and making time for people that matter.

No more!!! The simple things like saying hello and asking the people that matter in life will from now in take on a new importance and priority and effort for me.

I'm old enough to stop letting time and excuses get in the way.

NO MORE !!!!![/h]I will miss you John. Godspeed. SK

7. W2RJR

W2RJR Ham Member QRZ Page

John was one of the most incredible people I have had the pleasure to meet in radio. No matter if you were a regular or a new comer, he always made you feel welcome. He could hold his own now matter what the topic was, John always had input, advise or a great story to tell you. Put simply, he was a wealth of knowledge! If he didn't know it, he'd research it and get back to you! John was always there when I was either going to or from work and stayed with you till you got there. He was also my very first contact on 575 repeater! John you will always be remembered! Thank you for the time we all had the chance to spend with you! 73, Ray W2RJR

8. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Found this online,

http://www.silive.com/opinion/letters/index.ssf/2013/01/remembering_a_friend_who_never.html

By JIM MIDURA
    ELTINGVILLE

A good old friend passed on the other day, and I just can’t let it go without some mention of his life. His name was John Amaniera, a severely wounded Vietnam veteran who lost his eyesight there in or around 1967.
    I met John in 1970 and was immediately fascinated by his stubborn tenacity, wit and charisma. He was one-of-a-kind. Like many of his generation, he loved and built muscle cars.
    When John came home from the war, he never displayed an attitude of poor me. In fact, he got even sharper. Through the VA, he was able to start an automotive transmission repair business out of his backyard, and he made a good product and had a good following.
    I remember him rebuilding a transmission for me once, and I watched as he ran his hands across the guts of the unit, then upon feeling a spring and a ballbearing, he plucked them out, threw them over his shoulder and said “you don’t need that.” My Adam’s apple must have moved a half-inch. But he was right.
    He was a man who never gave up, a true inspiration to many. God bless you, John, you will be truly missed, by all who made your acquaintance.

9. N2MCC

N2MCC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

John was one of the most incredible people I have ever known. Never letting his handicap slow him down, he was an inspiration to all who knew him. I truly believe he could see more without his eyes than most of us can see with them. Always there to say hello and keep you company on the repeater, he could speak about almost any topic and have much to contribute. I learned a lot from John and feel privileged for the nearly 20 years I've known him both personally and on the air. He was one of a kind and I'll never forget him. Rest in peace John, I will miss you.
    Paul N2MCC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.