ad: portazero-1

W9JEF/65 -- Sixty-Five Year Anniversary of License Callsign

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W9JEF, Aug 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

(Originally announced in the members only forum--adding it here, so it will be seen by more hams.) :cool:

August 3, 1954 was the issue date of both WN9JEF (Novice), and W9JEF (Technician class). Wish I had saved those old licenses. :( Got on 80 CW, and by mid-October, had my code speed up to 13 wpm. So I dropped the N, and became just W9JEF (with all operating privileges).

[​IMG]
    At age 15, I couldn't afford commercial gear. But an old “all wave” radio chassis (homebrew panel & dial), WWII surplus Command Sets, parts cannibalized from old radios, and Elmer-donated components allowed me to get on the air for about $50 or so.

So, during the entire month of August (as free time permits), I'll be W9JEF/65. As during that first August, it'll be strictly CW (a severe hearing impairment makes understanding voice very difficult). I thought I'd have some special “W9JEF 65th Anniversary” QSL cards printed with the picture of my first hamshack, which can be had for an s.a.s.e.

Especially for this occasion, I bought me an MFJ-407E Keyer. Tried to get “W9JEF/65” into its memory, but the “dah-di-di-dah-dit” was missing! Called factory tech support--was told that since it uses the slash mark (/) as a command, it cannot be embedded into the message. Hence, the extra dit:
    “W9JEF dah-di-di-di-dah-dit 65” is what you'll hear should my fist get tired, and I decide to use the keyer.

It'll be CW only, on 20, 30, 40, 80, and maybe 160, depending on conditions. I'll be spotting the times and frequencies, so here's hoping to BCNU.

Jim​

W7UUU and WA7PRC like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, that's awesome, Jim. You were licensed the year I was born. :)

W9JEF likes this.
  3. W9JEF

Hi Eric!

As coincidence would have it, about 100 yards behind our old house, sits an old structure similar to your avatar. :cool:

I'll now be QRV on 10.116, hoping for a few takers.

Jim​

4. AF9US

AF9US Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim:

Wow, the big picture!

Who would have thunk - the "Big Picture" is ham radio!

Regards,
    Bernie, AF9US

W9JEF likes this.
  5. W9JEF

W9JEF/65 is now calling CQ on 7033. Anybody there?

6. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My dad was licensed in 1944 but did not get his station license till 1954, he went on the air early in March of that year with a 6AG7 oscillator running 11 watts and later added a 807. I was licensed August 1970, hard to believe it has been 49 years.

W9JEF likes this.
  7. W9JEF

Ah, the venerable 6AG7. :cool: First used as a crystal controlled oscillator to drive a 6L6. Then when I dropped the “N” and got my Conditional, built an external VFO box into a small card file box (as seen in the photo) and used it to drive a pair of 1625's (12 volt version of the 807) in the Command transmitter (at the far left).

[​IMG]Mine was much like this, except that it ran continuously, with keyed amplifier cathode.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  8. W9JEF

Well, 80 meter CW was where I started, and the QRN has subsided a bit, so I'll be QRV on 3.535 MHz

9. W9JEF

Nil on 80 no stations heard on entire CW band---just QRN.

Now QSY to 7.032 hope to BCNU there.

10. W9JEF

Sad to say, my activity was curtailed by the sudden and untimely death of a long-time and dear friend. :( She was only 65 (born the same year I was first licensed). She and her Navy vet husband, along with their 4 daughters (now grown with their own families) are among our first Arkansas friends from back when we first moved here in 1981.

[​IMG]

Tasks, errands, chores, and storms limit available operating time. So I've extended the celebration til at least the end of August (when I'll become W9JEF/150, for the upcoming ARRL event marking the 150th birthday of The Old Man, himself.

W9JEF/65 is now QRL on 7038 KHz hope to BCNU there.

Jim​

11. W9JEF

With weekend contests (on the non-WARC bands) in full swing, looks like a good night to be on 30 meters.

W9JEF/65 is QRV on (or near) 10.116 MHz.

12. W9JEF

Well, after 65 years on the air, it was about time for my very first purchase of a new commercial rig. Original station was homebrew, and WWII surplus. Earlier sideband xcvrs were bought used. The Icom IC-706 I've had since 1996 was a gift from Don, ex-K9BMC[SK], who got tired of chasing my drifty HW-100, during our many 80 meter QSOs between here and Wisconsin).

Got the brand new IC-7300 on 30 meters. W9JEF/65 now QRV on about 10.116 MHz.

13. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You will really enjoy that radio, it is a pleasure to operate. There are many YouTube videos out there explaining how to take advantage of the many features.

KG5THG and W9JEF like this.
  14. W9JEF

Checked the waterfall for a clear spot, so W9JEF/65 is now QRV on 7.038 MHz.

15. W9JEF

W9JEF/65 now QRV on 7.038 MHz. Hope to BCNU there.

:)